Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2015/04/17 20:37:54 UTC

Flex SDK Converter Maven Extension available

Hi Guys,

I invested several days in extending Flexmojos to use the flex-sdk-converter (AKA Mavenizer). I ended up with a version of Flexmojos that allowed to build flex applications without any dependencies at all (compiler, player/airglobal, framework were added automatically). By setting some properties flexmojos would auto-download the resources and convert them. I even managed to have the compiler resources automatically added to the plugin classpath.

The huge downside of this approach is that other maven plugins don't deal really well with this. For example the dependency:tree plugin doesn't show the libs and IntelliJ doesn't either. I was also really worried that I was working around mavens dependency resolutions strategies which could mess up some things big time.

I therefore tried something completely different. I created a core maven extension. You can think of this as a plugin for maven itself. With this I added a Maven "EventSpy" which monitors Maven for resolution requests to Flex related artifacts. If one of these fail to resolve, the SDK Converter kicks in to download, convert and install the artifacts. Depending on the Maven version you are using this has to be installed slightly different.

If you are using Maven 3.3.1 or above (Yeah ... not too much above that yet ;-):

- create a ".mvn" directory in your projects root.

- create an "extensions.xml" inside that directory with the following content

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<extensions>
    <extension>
        <groupId>org.apache.flex.utilities.converter</groupId>
        <artifactId>maven-extension</artifactId>
        <version>1.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
    </extension>
</extensions>

If you are using Maven below 3.3.1

Copy the flex-maven-extension jar to your MAVEN_HOME/lib/ext directory
(Have to do a little more testing with this though ... the 3.3.1 approach should work)

So you should be able to build the above project without having ANYTHING related to flex installed by executing:

mvn install

I did change 2 minor things in the current sdk-converter though ... FDKs now have three digit versions an no longer contain the build number ... so instead of using 4.14.1.20150325 you just use 4.14.1 instead. Additionally now for the flash sdk a "com.adobe.flash:framework:pom" is created in order to have all sdk parts in sync.

Really glad I didn't release the converter the first time ;-)

Have Fun, looking forward for feedback

    Chris

AW: Re^10: Flex SDK Converter Maven Extension available

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
No actually the mavenizer IS the complete magic. I decided not to put the new code into flexmojos, but add  an additional module to the mavenizer and work with an unmodified version of flexmojos :-)

Chris

Gesendet mit meinem HTC

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Well I actually did release Flexmojos and I think I went though our wiki pages and updated things that I found wrong.

Next step will be a release of the flex-sdk-converter, which will be another big milestone. At least I have successfully used it to auto upgrade to Flex 4.15 and Air 20 :-)

Chris

Posted by Mihai Chira <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.

Posted by Mihai Chira <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mihai Chira <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.

RE: Flex SDK Converter Maven Extension available

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Chris,