Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com> on 2008/03/06 11:01:48 UTC

IE8 testing

Hey everyone,

I'm doing some testing of our current implementations with IE8 beta 1. So
far it looks like we'll have to make at least one significant change due to
quirks mode default differences, but otherwise it seems to work pretty well.

--
~Kevin

Re: IE8 testing

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.
On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 4:03 PM, Bruno Bowden <br...@google.com> wrote:

> That sounds good to me.
>
> I still think we should change the spec so that quirks mode is up to the
> discretion of the container. With future caja inlining, gadgets will be
> forced to go into standards mode, so it's better for us to avoid caja
> being
> opt-in.... which would dramatically lower adoption rates.

A container page that was in standards mode (almost all containers) would
have to use an iframe for gadgets where quirks=true, even if caja was used.
It can be on the same domain, though, which avoids most of the performance
issues anyway. The same would be true if the container was quirks and the
gadget was standards.

I find it unlikely that the iframes themselves will actually go away, even
if caja is perfected. We'll still have rendering and performance issues to
address, and iframes (on the same domain as the parent) offer a pretty good
solution for that.

--
~Kevin

Re: IE8 testing

Posted by Bruno Bowden <br...@google.com>.
That sounds good to me.

Re: IE8 testing

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.

--
~Kevin

Re: IE8 testing

Posted by Bruno Bowden <br...@google.com>.
IE8 defaults to standards mode, so I presume that you're proposing adding a