Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Kamaljeet Kaur <ka...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/16 05:04:42 UTC

Where is the webapps directory of servlet container?

Hello,
They write in the  reference guide
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Installing+Solr>  , "Copy
the solr.war file from the Solr distribution to the webapps directory of
your servlet container. "

I can't find the webapps directory of the Servlet Container- Java. Please
help.

In next step its written: "Copy the Solr Home directory
apache-solr-4.x.0/example/solr/ from the distribution to your desired Solr
Home location. "

Which solr home directory they refer to? And which desired Solr Home
location?? Please tell.

Re: Where is the webapps directory of servlet container?

Posted by Kamaljeet Kaur <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 11:50 PM, Brendan Grainger [via Lucene]
<ml...@n3.nabble.com> wrote:
> Have you worked
> through the tutorial?

Yes, I'm working through. But not getting the significance of these
used commands. I know its to give a taste of solr with an example.

But actually I don't know where the problem is, sorry for saying this,
but I don't understand how solr works :(
How people manage to change the code to get into working. I am just
unable to understand all this :(
What should I do?

--
Kamaljeet Kaur

kamalkaur188.wordpress.com
facebook.com/kaur.188

Re: Where is the webapps directory of servlet container?

Posted by Kamaljeet Kaur <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 1:26 AM, Paul Libbrecht-4 [via Lucene]
<ml...@n3.nabble.com> wrote:
> I believe it is intended to be fine indeed ;-).
> However any other installation with a webapps directory would be equivalent.

Ok ;-)\

"Copy the Solr Home directory apache-solr-4.x.0/example/solr/ from the
distribution to your desired Solr Home location."

Now what is this "desired Solr Home location"?
Why don't they write clearly?
Or why I can't understand?

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@hoplahup.net>.
> Are they refering to solr-4.4.0/example/webapps directory here?
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Installing+Solr
> But solr.war is already placed there. Is it fine?

I believe it is intended to be fine indeed ;-).
However any other installation with a webapps directory would be equivalent.

paul

Re: Where is the webapps directory of servlet container?

Posted by Kamaljeet Kaur <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@hoplahup.net>.
>> Maybe it helps?
>> If not, please indicate the servlet container you chose.
>
> I have installed java and solr 4.4.0. I guess I need to install Jetty
> or Tomat. Not able to decide among both. But tried with Jetty. Is it
> necessary to add new user to use Jetty??

Jetty comes bundled with Solr.
  http://lucene.apache.org/solr/4_4_0/tutorial.html

Posted by Kamaljeet Kaur <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@hoplahup.net>.
>> What should I do?
> Can you help make me understand the work flow?

Kamaljeet,

in most servlet-containers (e.g. Tomcat or Jetty), there is such a directory called webapps.
In Sun Java App Server it is inside domains/<domain-name>/applications/j2ee-modules/.

Posted by Kamaljeet Kaur <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brendan Grainger <br...@gmail.com>.
Assuming you have downloaded solr into a dir called 'solr' then if you look
in the 'example' there is a bundled Jetty installation ready roll for
testing etc. So to answer your question 'why jetty?'. Have you worked
through the tutorial?

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 2:06 PM, Kamaljeet Kaur <ka...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 10:22 PM, Brendan Grainger [via Lucene]
> <ml...@n3.nabble.com> wrote:
> > ou can then
> > use the packaged Jetty servlet container while you get comfortable with
> > working with solr.
>

> Can I ask why jetty?
>
> --
> Kamaljeet Kaur
>
> kamalkaur188.wordpress.com
> facebook.com/kaur.188

Brendan Grainger
www.kuripai.com

Re: Where is the webapps directory of servlet container?

Posted by Kamaljeet Kaur <ka...@gmail.com>.
<ml...@n3.nabble.com> wrote:
> ou can then
> use the packaged Jetty servlet container while you get comfortable with
> working with solr.

Can I ask why jetty?

Posted by Brendan Grainger <br...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Slightly off topic, but just wondering if you've worked through the
tutorial: https://lucene.apache.org/solr/4_4_0/tutorial.html You can then
use the packaged Jetty servlet container while you get comfortable with
working with solr.

Best of luck
Brendan

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 12:25 PM, Kamaljeet Kaur <ka...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 1:20 PM, Artem Karpenko [via Lucene]
> <ml...@n3.nabble.com> wrote:
> > it's also mentioned on that page that "Solr runs inside a Java servlet
> > container such as Tomcat, Jetty, or Resin" - you have to install one of
> > those first.
>

> Ok.
> Can you please suggest me the servlet container to use with Django 1.4
> and solr version 4.4.0?
> And its version?
>
> --
> Kamaljeet Kaur
>
> kamalkaur188.wordpress.com
> facebook.com/kaur.188

Brendan Grainger
www.kuripai.com

Re: Where is the webapps directory of servlet container?

Posted by Kamaljeet Kaur <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Artem Karpenko <a....@oxseed.com>.
Hello Kamaljeet,

it's also mentioned on that page that "Solr runs inside a Java servlet
container such as Tomcat, Jetty, or Resin" - you have to install one of
those first. I don't know about Resin but Tomcat and Jetty have their
webapps directories right inside of them. Solr Home directory from
distribution is "apache-solr-4.x.0/example/solr/". You just have to copy
it anywhere you like and then point out this location by providing
system property solr.solr.home when starting the servlet container of
your choice (also described later in the document).

Best,
Artem Karpenko.