Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by nikhil kohli <ce...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/01 11:58:23 UTC

slowloris DoS attack-How to check time taken by server for reading a request

Hello Everyone,

This is regarding the slowloris issue. I'm trying to mitigate this issue
using iptables by restricting the no. of connection to a certain limit. Also
i see the new experimental module mod_noloris.c having similar approach to
mitigate slowloris attack. I have few questions regarding this  approach.
1. Can we mitigate the issue using iptables only?
2. Even mod_noloris.c is vulnerable to slowloris attack, will there be a
change in approach for solving this in future?
3. Is there a way to delay the process of creating connection until whole
header is received?
4. How to check time taken by server for reading the request?
Also, may i know if apache team acknowledge slowloris as issue or not?
Thanks in advance.
Thanks and Regards,
Nikhil Kohli

Re: slowloris DoS attack-How to check time taken by server for reading a request

Posted by nikhil kohli <ce...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the reply.

I just checked the size of the requests issued by slowloris, it is
very samll as comapred to the valid requests. So i was wondering if we
can adjust the timeout according the request length.

The idea is set to low timeout for the request lengths lower than a
threshold value. Please help me understand the consequences of such an
approach.

Thanks and regards,
Nikhil

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.