Posted to dev@juddi.apache.org by Steve Viens <sv...@steveviens.com> on 2002/01/14 14:53:03 UTC

[jUDDI-developers] jUDDI shit to know ... (hold on to this message)

Hi everyone!

This is just a little information sharing message - Please read it over.

Forgive me if I'm being painfully obvious about anything in this message
- just trying to be thorough. Also, I'll have more information on the
areas of jUDDI where everyone will be working once I finish discussing
it with each of you. I still plan on getting that information out this
week.

I believe everyone has a MSN Messenger account ... It would be nice to
make sure everyone has everyone else's id.  Please tell me if you DON'T
want me to circulate your address with the rest of the team. If I don't
hear from you by the weekend I'll assume it's okay. I WILL NOT
DISTRIBUTE THESE OVER THE JUDDI-DEVELOPERS distribution list as that
list is archived and public (well, it's supposed to be - SourceForge is
working on a problem with that right now.)

Cygwin CVS & SSH
----------------
Okay, first up - you're going to have to download and install the latest
version of Cygwin as it comes pre-configured with a cvs client as well
as ssh - two utilities that you need to work with SourceForge:

	http://www.cygwin.com

If you're not familiar with Cygwin - it's a Bash Shell for Windows and
makes many useful UNIX utilities available to your windows machine.  The
instructions on SourceForge for setting up and using CVS with
SourceForge are very thorough so I'll refer you there for details. Look
at the section on CVS-OS Specific Information.

	http://sourceforge.net/docman/?group_id=1

Apache Ant Build Tool
---------------------
You will also need to install a recent version of the Apache/Jakarta Ant
build tool. Grab it from:

	http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/index.html

(make sure the ant executable is in your PATH)

Editor Tab Settings
-------------------
In an effort to make sure that the code looks the way you intended it to
everyone else, the editor you use should insert 'spaces' instead of tabs
when using the tab key. If you're going to use an IDE like JBuilder you
can configure this by selecting Tools->Editor Options and set the Block
Indent to 2 and the Tab Size to 8 - that should do it.

The rest of you - figure it out.

Class Source Code
-----------------
New classes should have the following at the top (just for consistency).
It's always a good idea to include a testdriver (main method) that gives
a working example of how the class is used.

/*
 * jUDDI - An open source Java implementation of UDDI
 * http://www.juddi.org/
 *
 * Copyright (c) 2002, Bowstreet.com, Inc. and contributors
 * All rights reserved.
 */

JVM Parameter (when running jUDDI)
----------------------------------
Something to remember when running the project. In order to locate the
juddi.properties file (in the juddi/conf directory) you must set and
pass the "juddi.homeDir" JVM parameter. To find the
"c:\sviens\projects\juddi\conf\juddi.properties" file I have set mine as
follows:

	-Djuddi.homeDir=c:\sviens\projects\juddi

Alex will have to let us know if Axis running under Tomcat has some
special way of passing a JVM parameter.

Thanks again for being part of this ... Once we get underway it should
be fun.

Questions?  Anything to add?

Steve

Steve Viens