Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/24 01:01:48 UTC

LocalLucene sorting issue

In order to get spatial lucene into solr, we need to figure out how to
fix the memory leak described in:

Reading the posts on LUCENE-1304, it seems to point to LUCENE-1483 as
the _real_ solution while LUCENE-1304 would just be a deprecated band-
aid (for the record, band-aids are quite useful).

Before delving into this again, it looks like LUCENE-1483 is finished,
but I don't understand how it fixes the CustomSort stuff.  Also, I
don't see what the deprecated sorting stuff should be replaced with...

thanks for any pointers

ryan

Re: LocalLucene sorting issue

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Ryan McKinley wrote:
> In order to get spatial lucene into solr, we need to figure out how to
> fix the memory leak described in:
>
> Reading the posts on LUCENE-1304, it seems to point to LUCENE-1483 as
> the _real_ solution while LUCENE-1304 would just be a deprecated
> band-aid (for the record, band-aids are quite useful).
>
> Before delving into this again, it looks like LUCENE-1483 is finished,
> but I don't understand how it fixes the CustomSort stuff.  Also, I
> don't see what the deprecated sorting stuff should be replaced with...
The fix should be that comparators are no longer cached with LUCENE-1483
as long as you use the new API. The new API is the FieldComparator, and
you supply one with a FieldComparatorSource. The FieldComparator may
look a little complicated, but its fairly straightforward for the
primitive (non String) types - you should be able to roughly copy one.

org.apache.lucene.search.FieldComparator

There is a new SortField constructor that takes a FieldComparatorSource.

> thanks for any pointers
>
> ryan

- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com