Posted to l10n@openoffice.apache.org by Tal Daniel <ta...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/13 11:44:53 UTC

[www] [SUGGEST] Change "Native Language" to Dropdown/select box

I'd like to suggest to replace the "Native Language" link, on
www.openoffice.org menu to a more visible dropbox.

E.g. Product | Download | ... | "Lanauge: [English ]"

I believe users are more accustomed to select their language from a select
box, rather than clicking "native language" (I remember I had a hard time,
as a beginner OpenOffice site visitor to understand what does this link
mean).

This would also allow faster move to a translated version of the site, for
people who prefer to read it in their language.

+ Another suggestion is to move the suggested dropdown box above the menu
bar, somewhere near the search box.

Tal

Re: [www] [SUGGEST] Change "Native Language" to Dropdown/select box

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 05/14/2014 12:20 AM, Tal Daniel wrote:
> I'm working on language select dropdown, and suggest it on the staging
> site.
> Marcus, I find it impossible to override the templates/brand.html in
> localized sites. Does anyone know how to do it? If not, I'll publish the
> dropdown on the english staging site.

Tal --

You can create a localized "brand.mdtext" directly in a subdirectory for
your purposes, and this will convert to brand.html for a given
directory. I'm not sure if this is what you're trying to do.

see, e.g. the structure of

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/zh/

-- or --
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/zh-cn/

Posted by Tal Daniel <ta...@gmail.com>.
I'm working on language select dropdown, and suggest it on the staging
site.
Marcus, I find it impossible to override the templates/brand.html in
localized sites. Does anyone know how to do it? If not, I'll publish the
dropdown on the english staging site.

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 10:15 PM, Marcus (OOo) <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:

>>> select

>>> time,

>>> for

> +1
>
>  On Tue, May 13 Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
>>
>>  Andrea can probably correct me here but long ago we did in fact want to
>>> use the drop down menu. The issue, then, if not now, was that the tools
>>> available were thought not generally in use by visitors to the site.
>>> The usual rule of thumb for making things easier for users is to see what
>>> the more popular sites do (that seems to work, of course) and emulate it.
>>>

>> Some examples, to show that a dropdown, or auto redirection ARE common
>> practice nowadays:
>>
>> * Mozilla.com redirects by browser language to
>> http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/and has a dropdown box on the bottom of
>>
>> page (that's surprising), just in
>> case [they were wrong].
>> * Microsoft.com redirects by IP (country) to
>> http://www.microsoft.com/he-il/default.aspx and has a link "Israel -
>> Hebrew
>> [Earth icon]" on the bottom of the page, just in case [they were wrong].
>> * Adobe.com stays in English, but opens a popup with an offer to be
>> redirected to a regional website.
>>
>> Oh Marcus, Marcus... where are you when I need your skills the most :)
>>

> ahm, I'm not here. ;-)
>
> Honestly, I would like to get the download feature finished first, before
> I start another website change as my time for AOO is very limited.
>
> However, if you have some HTML/JS/CSS skills you could try yourself:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/test/
>
> Update its content with a current copy of the http://www.openoffice.org/
> index.html page(s) and just start. If something gets broken, then only in
> the "test/" area which nobody bothers.
>
> Marcus

טל

Re: [www] [SUGGEST] Change "Native Language" to Dropdown/select box

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
On 13 May  2014, at 11:56, Tal Daniel <ta...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 13 May  Tal Daniel wrote:
>>> I'd like to suggest to replace the "Native Language" link, on
>>> www.openoffice.org menu to a more visible dropbox.
>>>
>>> E.g. Product | Download | ... | "Lanauge: [English ]"
>>>
>>> I believe users are more accustomed to select their language from a
>> select
>>> box, rather than clicking "native language" (I remember I had a hard
>> time,
>>> as a beginner OpenOffice site visitor to understand what does this link
>>> mean).
>>>
>>> This would also allow faster move to a translated version of the site,
>> for
>>> people who prefer to read it in their language.
>>>
>>> + Another suggestion is to move the suggested dropdown box above the menu
>>> bar, somewhere near the search box.
>>

> On Tue, May 13 Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
>
>> Andrea can probably correct me here but long ago we did in fact want to
>> use the drop down menu. The issue, then, if not now, was that the tools
>> available were thought not generally in use by visitors to the site.
>> The usual rule of thumb for making things easier for users is to see what
>> the more popular sites do (that seems to work, of course) and emulate it.
>>

> Some examples, to show that a dropdown, or auto redirection ARE common
> practice nowadays:
>
> * Mozilla.com redirects by browser language to
> http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/and has a dropdown box on the bottom of
> page (that's surprising), just in
> case [they were wrong].
> * Microsoft.com redirects by IP (country) to
> http://www.microsoft.com/he-il/default.aspx and has a link "Israel - Hebrew
> [Earth icon]" on the bottom of the page, just in case [they were wrong].
> * Adobe.com stays in English, but opens a popup with an offer to be
> redirected to a regional website.
>
> Oh Marcus, Marcus... where are you when I need your skills the most :)
>
> Tal

The MSFT example can be perhaps interpreted as an instance of what not to do, despite so many doing it. (I age visibly after working my way through MSFT sites.) :-)

The JS for this, if this behaviour is what is wanted, is not that hard. What I did before, is a) go into the source or developer version of the page, as represented by any major browser; b) then copy the JavaScript or whatever; c) Search for "redirect by IP code for webpage" and copy and plug in to the page. Then d), test. But this is hacking in its crudest form. :-)

louis

PS the Why page also had a much neater redirect; not sure it's still there.

Re: [www] [SUGGEST] Change "Native Language" to Dropdown/select box

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tal Daniel <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tal Daniel <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
On 13 May  2014, at 05:44, Tal Daniel <ta...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd like to suggest to replace the "Native Language" link, on
> www.openoffice.org menu to a more visible dropbox.
>
> E.g. Product | Download | ... | "Lanauge: [English ]"
>
> I believe users are more accustomed to select their language from a select
> box, rather than clicking "native language" (I remember I had a hard time,
> as a beginner OpenOffice site visitor to understand what does this link
> mean).
>
> This would also allow faster move to a translated version of the site, for
> people who prefer to read it in their language.
>
> + Another suggestion is to move the suggested dropdown box above the menu
> bar, somewhere near the search box.
>
> Tal

Andrea can probably correct me here but long ago we did in fact want to use the drop down menu. The issue, then, if not now, was that the tools available were thought not generally in use by visitors to the site.

The usual rule of thumb for making things easier for users is to see what the more popular sites do (that seems to work, of course) and emulate it.

-louis

Re: [www] [SUGGEST] Change "Native Language" to Dropdown/select box

Posted by Tal Daniel <ta...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 11:23 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>wrote:

> Tal Daniel wrote:
>
>> I used only "Level 2" languages, as specified at the "Native Language"
>> page
>>
> (http://www.openoffice.org/projects/native-lang.html).
>>

> That page is outdated. [...] The best thing to do is to start with the 38
> released languages, with the same names we use in other.html. [...]
>
> The other languages should be reachable through an "Other" link, last in
> drop-drown, leading to the native-lang.html page.

DONE. Thanks for this idea. I've fixed the language selection dropdown to
~38 supported languages, as you recommended. Removed Khmer and English UK,
which weren't supported.

To fix accessibility too, "Language:" could be turned into a simple link
> ("<a>...</a>" tag) pointing to native-lang.html too.
>
> Maybe we'll do that in the future, but I'm almost sure Select is
accessible for screen readers and keyboard navigation.

> Note: the staging site http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/ can be
> published to the main site any time [...] so it's better to use the test
> area at http://www.openoffice.org/test/.

Thanks; I'm aware of that Andrea. I had no choice, since I had to tweak the
global brand.html template, after I didn't find a way to override it in
localized sites.
I published it in the global template only after testing it a bit at the
Hebrew site, first.

Re: [www] [SUGGEST] Change "Native Language" to Dropdown/select box

Posted by Tal Daniel <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Tal Daniel wrote:
> Update: I've sent a separate email with a test dropdown box for languages.

Looks good!

> I used only "Level 2" languages, as specified at the "Native Language" page
> (http://www.openoffice.org/projects/native-lang.html).

That page is outdated. There are no "Level 1" and "Level 2" languages.

The best thing to do is to start with the 38 released languages, with
the same names we use in other.html. Some will have to be removed, some
will have to be added, and we'll bring this to the l10n list. But for
the 38 released languages we are sure that we have active volunteers on
the l10n list.

The other languages should be reachable through an "Other" link, last in
drop-drown, leading to the native-lang.html page.

To fix accessibility too, "Language:" could be turned into a simple link
("<a>...</a>" tag) pointing to native-lang.html too.

Note: the staging site
http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/
can be published to the main site any time (if I need to change a word
in the homepage now, I will have to publish your changes too since we
are on the same file). So if something is just a test, it's better to
use the test area at http://www.openoffice.org/test/ ; in this case it's
OK to use staging, but keep in mind that it can be published any time by
any committer and that one may be forced to publish it in order to show
other changes, so it's better to keep it in good shape.

> + Since the NL page was last updated in 2010, don't you think that we
> should start with English only dropdown, and add languages by request of
> active translation communities?

This may be another option. But the released languages are probably a
better approximation, so that we can then check them and see what
languages need update.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: [www] [SUGGEST] Change "Native Language" to Dropdown/select box

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tal Daniel <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tal Daniel <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Tal Daniel wrote:
> I'd like to suggest to replace the "Native Language" link, on
> www.openoffice.org menu to a more visible dropbox. ...
> + Another suggestion is to move the suggested dropdown box above the menu
> bar, somewhere near the search box.

Totally agree. This is one of the "easy tasks" I suggest to newcomers
from time to time, but it hasn't happened yet. The JavaScript drop-down
should not list all available languages from
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/
but only those that are maintained. Anyway, this is a trivial
enhancement once the structure is there.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: [www] [SUGGEST] Change "Native Language" to Dropdown/select box

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Issac Goldstand <is...@volo-net.com>.
On 13/05/2014 12:44, Tal Daniel wrote:
> I'd like to suggest to replace the "Native Language" link, on
> www.openoffice.org menu to a more visible dropbox.
>
> E.g. Product | Download | ... | "Lanauge: [English ]"
>
> I believe users are more accustomed to select their language from a select
> box, rather than clicking "native language" (I remember I had a hard time,
> as a beginner OpenOffice site visitor to understand what does this link
> mean).
>
> This would also allow faster move to a translated version of the site, for
> people who prefer to read it in their language.
>
> + Another suggestion is to move the suggested dropdown box above the menu
> bar, somewhere near the search box.
>
> Tal

+1 for both ideas

Re: [www] [SUGGEST] Change "Native Language" to Dropdown/select box

Posted by Issac Goldstand <is...@volo-net.com>.
On 13/05/2014 12:44, Tal Daniel wrote:
> I'd like to suggest to replace the "Native Language" link, on
> www.openoffice.org menu to a more visible dropbox.
>
> E.g. Product | Download | ... | "Lanauge: [English ]"
>
> I believe users are more accustomed to select their language from a select
> box, rather than clicking "native language" (I remember I had a hard time,
> as a beginner OpenOffice site visitor to understand what does this link
> mean).
>
> This would also allow faster move to a translated version of the site, for
> people who prefer to read it in their language.
>
> + Another suggestion is to move the suggested dropdown box above the menu
> bar, somewhere near the search box.
>
> Tal

+1 for both ideas