Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Ferreira, André" <an...@siemens.com> on 2003/12/17 12:21:21 UTC

Connection Reset By Peer

Can someone please explain to me what does "Connection reset by peer" means?
Does it mean the server does not recognize the connection attempt from
Tomcat or are there some other explanations.
Or is there some port not available.......:-(.

2003-12-17 01:14:06 - ContextManager: SocketException reading request,
ignored - java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketAvailable(Native Method)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.available(PlainSocketImpl.java:501)
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.available(SocketInputStream.java:142)
        at
onnectionHandler.java:217)
        at
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:501)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:479)

Thanx.

André Ferreira

Note:
The information in this e-mail is confidential and is intended solely for
the addressee. If you have received this e-mail in error, you are hereby
notified that any review, copying or distribution is strictly prohibited.
Please inform the sender immediately and destroy the original. Siemens
Limited and/or its subsidiaries accepts no liability of whatever nature for
any loss, liability, damage or expense resulting directly or indirectly from
access to this message and any files or links that are attached hereto.

Re: Connection Reset By Peer

Posted by Philipp Taprogge <ph...@gmx.net>.
Hi!

Ferreira, André wrote:
> Can someone please explain to me what does "Connection reset by peer" means?
> Does it mean the server does not recognize the connection attempt from
> Tomcat or are there some other explanations.
> Or is there some port not available.......:-(.

Since TCP is a connection-less protocol, it uses a three-way handshake
to simulate a connection. The client sends a packet with only the SYN
bit set, the server replies with a SYN ACK packet and the client
acknowledges this with a single ACK. After that, server and client have
agreed to act as if they were actually connected to each other and they
begin to actually exchange data. If now at any time one of the two sends
a packet with the RST (reset) bit set, this indicates that the makeshift
connection has been disrupted. This can have many reasons.
So, "connection reset by peer" on one end (e.g. the broswer) means, that
the other end (in this case the server) closed the connection for
reasons unknown.
In this case, the server process is running fine and the port is
available as well, the server just wouldn't talk to you.

	Phil

--
And on the seventh day, He exited from append mode.
(Book of create(2), line 255)