Posted to dev@yetus.apache.org by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> on 2016/12/16 15:46:32 UTC

[DRAFT] [REPORT] Yetus - December 2016

Hi folks!

Quick review period this time, I'm a bit late on getting this in.

----

Apache Yetus provides libraries and tools that enable contribution and
release processes for software projects.

ISSUES FOR THE BOARD'S ATTENTION

Last report we were asked if we had approached VP Legal about our
licensing issue (we had a contribution we had to ultimately reject
because of a hard dependency on a GPL project). We never did approach
VP Legal because the planned new component was not an internal build
tool to our project but something intended to be used by downstream
users of our project. While our most visible downstream users are
currently other ASF projects, our goal remains the wider public good
so the foundation rules around dependency licenses should apply
normally.

RELEASES

None since last report. Last release was version 0.3.0 on May 22nd 2016.

The community is currently working through a 0.4.0 release.

ACTIVITY

Ajay Yadava was added to the PMC during this period (Dec 1st).

Andrew Wang and Ajay Yadava were added as committers during this
period (Sep 20th).

The community had a noticeable plunge in both overall activity and
apparent reviewer bandwidth during this report period. This has been
most apparent in our protracted effort to complete the 0.4.0 release.
The PMC has previously discussed our need to accelerate
responsibilities for new contributors, but the topic needs to be
reviewed again.

Additionally, I'm looking to rotate the PMC chair but none of the
other PMC members have sufficient time to step in. I've agreed to try
to keep finding the time through our March report. I presume the lack
of folks who think they have the extra hour or two per quarter means
our community needs to get aggressive on PMC recruitment in addition
to our need to expand the committer list.

STATS

- Currently 8 PMC members
- Currently 10 committers
- dev list has 41 subscribers (flat from previous period)

Re: [DRAFT] [REPORT] Yetus - December 2016

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
+1

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: [DRAFT] [REPORT] Yetus - December 2016

Posted by Aldrin Piri <al...@gmail.com>.
Looks like a good assessment.  +1

Posted by Ajay Yadava <aj...@gmail.com>.
+1

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 4:40 PM Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org> wrote:

+1

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 7:46 AM, Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
> Quick review period this time, I'm a bit late on getting this in.
>
> ----
>
> Apache Yetus provides libraries and tools that enable contribution and
> release processes for software projects.
>
> ISSUES FOR THE BOARD'S ATTENTION
>
> Last report we were asked if we had approached VP Legal about our
> licensing issue (we had a contribution we had to ultimately reject
> because of a hard dependency on a GPL project). We never did approach
> VP Legal because the planned new component was not an internal build
> tool to our project but something intended to be used by downstream
> users of our project. While our most visible downstream users are
> currently other ASF projects, our goal remains the wider public good
> so the foundation rules around dependency licenses should apply
> normally.
>
> RELEASES
>
> None since last report. Last release was version 0.3.0 on May 22nd 2016.
>
> The community is currently working through a 0.4.0 release.
>
> ACTIVITY
>
> Ajay Yadava was added to the PMC during this period (Dec 1st).
>
> Andrew Wang and Ajay Yadava were added as committers during this
> period (Sep 20th).
>
> The community had a noticeable plunge in both overall activity and
> apparent reviewer bandwidth during this report period. This has been
> most apparent in our protracted effort to complete the 0.4.0 release.
> The PMC has previously discussed our need to accelerate
> responsibilities for new contributors, but the topic needs to be
> reviewed again.
>
> Additionally, I'm looking to rotate the PMC chair but none of the
> other PMC members have sufficient time to step in. I've agreed to try
> to keep finding the time through our March report. I presume the lack
> of folks who think they have the extra hour or two per quarter means
> our community needs to get aggressive on PMC recruitment in addition
> to our need to expand the committer list.
>
> STATS
>
> - Currently 8 PMC members
> - Currently 10 committers
> - dev list has 41 subscribers (flat from previous period)
> - 17 JIRA tickets created in the last 3 months
> - 7 JIRA tickets closed/resolved in the last 3 months

--
Regards
Ajay Yadava

Re: [DRAFT] [REPORT] Yetus - December 2016

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.
+1