Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> on 2022/03/16 16:28:47 UTC

How best to apply a PR and include a changelog entry

All,

I'd like to accept a PR and also include a changelog entry at the same
time, in a single commit. Is that possible and/or easy?

Thanks,
-chris

Re: How best to apply a PR and include a changelog entry

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
> All,
>
> I'd like to accept a PR and also include a changelog entry at the same
> time, in a single commit. Is that possible and/or easy?

You can but it involves some hoop jumping.

Roughly:
- start in your local checkout
- git checkout -b sim-lus-patch-1 main
- git pull https://github.com/sim-lus/tomcat.git patch-1
- cherry pick the commit to main
- make the changelog changes and commit them
- git rebase -i HEAD~2
- squash the changelog commit into the PR commit
- git push

Git being git, there are probably multiple ways of doing this.

Mark