Posted to users@maven.apache.org by David Corbin <dc...@allureglobal.com> on 2007/05/04 20:16:22 UTC

Re: [Spam] Re: release plugin (scm via cvs)

On Friday 04 May 2007 13:56, Emmanuel Venisse wrote:
> What is your directory structure?

inventory.ws
	com.enttek.concessions-master
	com.enttek.concessions.common
	com.enttek.concessions.homeoffice

> Flat directories aren't supported.

Right.  Unfortunately, Eclipse *only* supports flat directories.

> 2 workarounds:
> 1. you can add a pom under /home/dcorbin/workspace/inventory.ws/ and do the
> release on it

The problem with this is that directory is not under CVS.

> 2. release your parent and children independently

Well, this would work, but the parent (in -master) is where the version is.

Any plans to suppor this in the future? In general, maven seems to do fine
with this.

David

Re: [Spam] Re: release plugin (scm via cvs)

Posted by David Corbin <dc...@machturtle.com>.
On Friday 04 May 2007 14:24, Stephane Nicoll wrote:
> On 5/4/07, David Corbin <dc...@allureglobal.com> wrote:
> > On Friday 04 May 2007 13:56, Emmanuel Venisse wrote:
> > > What is your directory structure?
> >
> > inventory.ws
> >         com.enttek.concessions-master
> >         com.enttek.concessions.common
> >         com.enttek.concessions.homeoffice
> >
> > > Flat directories aren't supported.
> >
> > Right.  Unfortunately, Eclipse *only* supports flat directories.
> >
> > > 2 workarounds:
> > > 1. you can add a pom under /home/dcorbin/workspace/inventory.ws/ and do
> > > the release on it
> >
> > The problem with this is that directory is not under CVS.
>
> You are missing an important concet of the release plugin. If the
> plugin acts on something it should tag everything since
> release:perform will do a checkout of the tag created during
> release:prepare (in another directory).

No, I didn't miss it.  That's why I called workaround #1 a problem.  It calls
for me to have a critical file NOT in source control, and this won't work.

I can see no technical reason that the release plugin cannot support sibling
modules.

Re: [Spam] Re: release plugin (scm via cvs)

Posted by Roland Asmann <Ro...@cfc.at>.
On Sunday 06 May 2007 16:39, David Corbin wrote:
> That sound suspiciously like you've got a lot of duplication going on.
> Fundamentally, Eclipse does NOT support heirarchies.  I don't think you can
> map a heiarchy to a flat model and maintain a one-to-one copy.

No. The plugin I pointed you to (and eclipse 3.1.x as well -- although it's
not the default!) will not copy the directories, they will only link them!
People have been able to do something like this for a pretty long time on
*nix already, but it works fine on Win as well.

The only problem you'll have is when deleting files in eclipse... Eclipse will
recognize deletion ONLY on the project where you deleted! This means that you
must synchronize that project seperately.

Example:
You have a parent-project A, with 2 sub-projects B and C. When you delete
files in C, you must synchronize (and delete) these files from that project
with your CVS. If you synchronize the project from A, eclipse will tell you
that your SCM has newer versions for the deleted files!
It has something to do with the internal remembering of deletions in eclipse,
it is not an SCM-thing.

> So, from what you say, If I have 3 layers in my heirarchy, Eclipse is going
> to perceive 3 copies of every file in my bottom-most tier.

No, you will have your project checked out only once, and eclipse references
ONLY the java-type projects. If you have more than 1 layer, you will probably
have 2 layers with POM-projects and 1 with actual Java-projects. The plugin
will then only reference these projects, but leave the actual source-code in
the original tree.

--
Roland Asmann

CFC Informationssysteme Entwicklungsgesellschaft m.b.H
Bäckerstrasse 1/2/7
A-1010 Wien
FN 266155f, Handelsgericht Wien

Tel.: +43/1/513 88 77 - 27
Fax.: +43/1/513 88 62
Email: Roland.Asmann@cfc.at
Web: www.cfc.at

Re: [Spam] Re: release plugin (scm via cvs)

Posted by Roland Asmann <Ro...@cfc.at>.
On Friday 04 May 2007 20:43, Roland Asmann wrote:
> On Friday 04 May 2007 20:16, David Corbin wrote:
> > On Friday 04 May 2007 13:56, Emmanuel Venisse wrote:
> > > Flat directories aren't supported.
> >
> > Right.  Unfortunately, Eclipse *only* supports flat directories.
>
> That depends. It is possible to import the sub-dirs as seperate projects in
> Eclipse. That way you can work on all modules as if they were in a flat
> structure. We've been doing that around here for quite some time!
>
> Just run the eclipse:eclipse plugin on your projects and import the
> projects. Be carefull, this needs eclipse 3.1.x or newer (if I remember
> correctly), because you need to tell eclipse to NOT copy the project to the
> workspace.

Just read the web-page again, it seems that it'll work on 2.1 as well!

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.

David Corbin a écrit :
> On Friday 04 May 2007 14:43, Roland Asmann wrote:
>>> Right.  Unfortunately, Eclipse *only* supports flat directories.
>> That depends. It is possible to import the sub-dirs as seperate projects in
>> Eclipse. That way you can work on all modules as if they were in a flat
>> structure. We've been doing that around here for quite some time!
>>

> That sound suspiciously like you've got a lot of duplication going on.
> Fundamentally, Eclipse does NOT support heirarchies.  I don't think you can
> map a heiarchy to a flat model and maintain a one-to-one copy.

You can use hierarchies for your maven projects, then when you run mvn eclipse:eclipse command, the plugin won't create eclipse projects for project with pom packaging.
So you can import hierarchical maven project to eclipse.
All projects under maven umbrella are hierarchical and developers works well with eclipse.

Posted by David Corbin <dc...@machturtle.com>.

Games, Gamers, Gaming - a blog - http://dcorbin.com/blogs/g3

Re: [Spam] Re: release plugin (scm via cvs)

Posted by Roland Asmann <Ro...@cfc.at>.

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
On 5/4/07, David Corbin <dc...@allureglobal.com> wrote:
> On Friday 04 May 2007 13:56, Emmanuel Venisse wrote:
> > What is your directory structure?
>
> inventory.ws
>         com.enttek.concessions-master
>         com.enttek.concessions.common
>         com.enttek.concessions.homeoffice
>
> > Flat directories aren't supported.
>
> Right.  Unfortunately, Eclipse *only* supports flat directories.
>
> > 2 workarounds:
> > 1. you can add a pom under /home/dcorbin/workspace/inventory.ws/ and do the
> > release on it
>
> The problem with this is that directory is not under CVS.

You are missing an important concet of the release plugin. If the
plugin acts on something it should tag everything since
release:perform will do a checkout of the tag created during
release:prepare (in another directory).

Stéphane