Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Raja Nagendra Kumar <Na...@tejasoft.com> on 2011/07/02 04:22:06 UTC

Hadoop Annotations support

Hi,

Is there any plans for Hadoop to support annodations specially for the api
level configurations eliminations.. eg.

conf.setMapperClass(MaxTemperatureMapper.class);
conf.setCombinerClass(MaxTemperatureReducer.class);
conf.setReducerClass(MaxTemperatureReducer.class);

can be easily elimiated through proper class level annotations.

Regards,
Raja Nagendra Kumar,
C.T.O
www.tejasoft.com

Re: Hadoop Annotations support

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
On 02/07/11 03:22, Raja Nagendra Kumar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any plans for Hadoop to support annodations specially for the api
> level configurations eliminations.. eg.
>
> conf.setMapperClass(MaxTemperatureMapper.class);
> conf.setCombinerClass(MaxTemperatureReducer.class);
> conf.setReducerClass(MaxTemperatureReducer.class);
>
> can be easily elimiated through proper class level annotations.

How? Would something be expected to run through the entire **/*.class to
look for annotated classes and somehow determine which ones a specific
job is using? A lot of our JARs contain all the classes for many
actions, with the combination of map and reduce chosen from job to job.
Reading in all the annotations hits startup time and would cause confusion.

What could be done would be a spring-style file (JSON, etc) that
declares the Map, Reduce, Combiner, other conf options and builds the
conf from it, but that could be a job submission interface in front of
the classes. Something that would work well with the outstanding
"provide a long-haul job submission API that is robust against Hadoop
version changes" issue in hadoop-mapreduce.

Re: Hadoop Annotations support

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.
I assume you mean something like this:

https://github.com/SpringSource/spring-hadoop

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 04:22, Raja Nagendra Kumar
<Na...@tejasoft.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any plans for Hadoop to support annodations specially for the api
> level configurations eliminations.. eg.
>
> conf.setMapperClass(MaxTemperatureMapper.class);
> conf.setCombinerClass(MaxTemperatureReducer.class);
> conf.setReducerClass(MaxTemperatureReducer.class);
>
> can be easily elimiated through proper class level annotations.
>

> Regards,
> Raja Nagendra Kumar,
> C.T.O
> www.tejasoft.com