Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de> on 2004/08/26 21:55:42 UTC

Re: Graphics in fo:region-end

Clay Leeds wrote:
> This would be a nice excuse to use SVG if not for two reasons: 1) SVG
> text is rendering poorly in my FOP output

Did you try
  http://xml.apache.org/fop/faq.html#svg-text

> 2) more
> importantly, Batik doesn't play nicely headless system, and  this
> project has the potential to run on a headless server.

Hup? Doesn't
  http://xml.apache.org/fop/faq.html#svg-headless
help?

> PROBLEM
> I have 3 graphics (each 35px wide w/ rotated red text w/ white margins)
> in an fo:region-end and I have a strange problem: the TOP graphic
> renders at slightly larger than the correct size; the MIDDLE graphic
> renders correctly; the BOTTOM graphic renders smaller than the correct
> size.
Maybe a problem with the scaling code. Or something else.

> I've tried using every combination imaginable of width/height,

For SVG, the heigth/width in the SVG itself should match, otherwise
strange results may occur.
You shouldn't use pixels as units of measure, which may be rounded
in unexpected ways, use cm/in/pt instead.

> content-width/content-height,
No effect at all, these properties are never used in FOP for any
purpose.

> and nothing works. There isn't a problem with HEIGHT, because there is
> ample space on either side of each image.
The scaling code uses available height in the region *body*,
unfortunately. This doesn't quite explain why the top image
is rendered larger though, unless this is an artifact of the
screen renderer (Acrobat).

J.Pietschmann

Re: Graphics in fo:region-end

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
On Aug 27, 2004, at 12:00 PM, J.Pietschmann wrote:
>> One of the systems we use is AIX, and we were unable to get the
>> workarounds to function.
>
> I'm successfully running an older Cocoon with updated FOP and Batik
> Jars on an AIX 5.3 headless, using th headless option for Java 1.4.
>
> A solution using PJA on AIX 4.3 ? IBM Java 1.3.1 was decommissioned
> two months ago. Granted, setting up PJA for running in WebSphere 3.5
> is a major PITA ...
>
> J.Pietschmann

As look would have it... One of my installations runs AIX 4.3 w IBM
Java 1.3.1... Hence my attempt at avoiding SVG in my app... Ahh well...
At least the images work fairly well...

Web Maestro Clay

Re: Graphics in fo:region-end

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.

Re: Graphics in fo:region-end

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
On Aug 26, 2004, at 12:55 PM, J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Clay Leeds wrote:
>> This would be a nice excuse to use SVG if not for two reasons: 1) SVG
>> text is rendering poorly in my FOP output
>
> Did you try
>  http://xml.apache.org/fop/faq.html#svg-text

erm... no. Thanks! I'll check it out!

>> 2) more importantly, Batik doesn't play nicely headless system, and
>> this project has the potential to run on a headless server.
>
> Hup? Doesn't
>  http://xml.apache.org/fop/faq.html#svg-headless
> help?

One of the systems we use is AIX, and we were unable to get the
workarounds to function. I think the tip with "Xvfb" in it was the
closest we got, but we have problems we weren't able to resolve. We
weren't using SVG at all (so that wasn't an issue), and ended up using
outputting to Postscript instead of -print, and then cat'ing the
resulting file to a Postscript printer.

>> PROBLEM
>> I have 3 graphics (each 35px wide w/ rotated red text w/ white
>> margins) in an fo:region-end and I have a strange problem: the TOP
>> graphic renders at slightly larger than the correct size; the MIDDLE
>> graphic renders correctly; the BOTTOM graphic renders smaller than
>> the correct size.
> Maybe a problem with the scaling code. Or something else.
>
>> I've tried using every combination imaginable of width/height,
>
> For SVG, the heigth/width in the SVG itself should match, otherwise
> strange results may occur.
> You shouldn't use pixels as units of measure, which may be rounded
> in unexpected ways, use cm/in/pt instead.
>
>> content-width/content-height,
> No effect at all, these properties are never used in FOP for any
> purpose.
>
>> and nothing works. There isn't a problem with HEIGHT, because there
>> is ample space on either side of each image.
> The scaling code uses available height in the region *body*,
> unfortunately. This doesn't quite explain why the top image
> is rendered larger though, unless this is an artifact of the
> screen renderer (Acrobat).
>
> J.Pietschmann

Ahhh... This is what I was beginning to allude to in one of my
updates... The Acrobat artifact possibility is interesting. I was
looking at the PDF at ~150% (page-width)...

Thanks for the comments!

Web Maestro Clay