Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Thomas Joseph <th...@kottsoftware.com> on 2006/01/11 11:16:16 UTC

Workflow Implementation

Hi All,

What is the best way to implement workflow for an interactive application.
Any good architecture, best practices, patterns etc.

Please indicate if I should address this to a different mailing list.

Thanks in advance

Thomas Joseph

Re: Workflow Implementation

Posted by Raghu Kanchustambham <kr...@gmail.com>.
Thats too broad a question - :-) So you will get "broad" answers for that!
:-)

You can take a look at jBPM project - I think jboss has taken up the
"ownership" for the project. While I have not used it, I believe there is
some activity and interest in the project.

If you are looking at providing a webservices based workflow, then look at
the BPEL (business process execution language). The distinct drawback I can
see with this is that it assumes that all the "nodes" in the workflow are
necessarily exposed as a webservice. In my opinion, that is a tight
constraint and in most cases may be an overhead. But I like the concept.
Collaxa was one of the implementors of this BPEL specification. Collaxa is
now aquired by Oracle.

I have just listed a couple of options I know. You should explore a bit more
and choose the one that best suits your needs.

~raghu~

On 1/11/06, Thomas Joseph <th...@kottsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> What is the best way to implement workflow for an interactive application.
> Any good architecture, best practices, patterns etc.
>
> Please indicate if I should address this to a different mailing list.
>

> Thanks in advance
>
> Thomas Joseph

Re: Workflow Implementation

Posted by gr...@intellicare.com.
"Thomas Joseph" <th...@kottsoftware.com> wrote on 01/11/2006
05:16:16 AM:

> Hi All,
>
> What is the best way to implement workflow for an interactive
application.
> Any good architecture, best practices, patterns etc.
>
> Please indicate if I should address this to a different mailing list.

Hi Thomas, you may want to investigate workflow engines that have already
been written. The one I have any experience with is Enhydra Shark. From
their website:

The Enhydra Shark project delivers a workflow server with a difference. It
is an extendable workflow engine framework including a standard
implementation completely based on WfMC specifications using XPDL (without
any proprietary extensions !) as its native workflow process definition
format and the WfMC "ToolAgents" API for serverside execution of system
activities.

More at http://www.enhydra.org/workflow/shark/index.html (you are in luck
too seems like they have updated their entire site just last night, so you
can get started using their brand new look and feel!!)

They have a mailing list too which you wish to join and where you may get
more answers to your questions.

> Thanks in advance
>
> Thomas Joseph

Regards,