Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com> on 2005/12/02 00:26:01 UTC

[LONG] Daemon command line option conventions - need to agree before 1.0

Whilst trying to come up with a name for the new command line option for
the Daemon for the new startup progress output (that doesn't use line
feeds to update the status of configurations being loaded and outputs
the startup time for each configuration) I chatted with David Blevins
and David Jencks on IRC.

They brought to my attention that the Daemon doesn't follow the
convention where each option has a short form (prefixed with a single
dash '-') and a long form prefixed with two dashes "--".  For example,
run maven -h or maven --help .

Currently the Daemon supports these options:

-quiet
-v
-vv
-override
-h
-help
--help
/?

In the list above, the -quiet, -override and -help don't fit the
convention I described.

We discussed using commons CLI to process the arguments but there were
concerns with the size of the library and also it is getting too close
to 1.0 to make large changes.

I proposed that we at least make our options follow the convention
discussed above (this would allow us to move to commons CLI or a
derivation of it in the future if needed).

PROPOSED OPTIONS FOR 1.0 RELEASE

-q    --quiet                  ** change impacts existing users **
-v    --verbose
-vv  --veryverbose
-o   --override              ** change impacts existing users **
-h   --help
-l    --long                     **  new option to change startup
progress format  **

We could still have hidden support for -help and /? but I'm not sure if
they would work with commons CLI if we were to move to it in the future.

In regards to the vv option being more than one character, looking at
the commons CLI documentation (
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/cli/apidocs/org/apache/commons/cli/Options.html
), it says the short option is a single character, but it takes a string
argument, so I think it is more of a recommendation.  If you use more
than one character for the short option you lose the ability to use the
Option.getID() method that can be useful in switch statements.

The deploy tool uses the long (--) form of options (doesn't support a
short form) but it follows the convention.

I will send another mail regarding the startup progress and whether we
should change the default format.

John

Re: [LONG] Daemon command line option conventions - need to agree before 1.0

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Dec 1, 2005, at 3:43 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> I'm not a big fan of this.  I can't say why in a general way, but to
> be specific, I don't think having two options to do the same thing
> adds any value, I don't like the unintuitiveness of many of the short
> versions, I don't think --quiet is an improvement over -quiet, I don't
> think any lazy developer would ever type --veryverbose, I like
> supporting every style of "help" that a user might possibly type
> (since by definition they probably don't know the correct one, though
> I would never document all 4 like you did in your first list), and so
> on.
>
> For the new startup output, we could bring back -noprogress or try for
> something shorter like -brief or -timer.

I think you hit upon some things, which actually support my liking
for the convention.

1) I also don't like the unintuitiveness of many of the short
options, that's why the long option is great--it's descriptive.  You
would probably hate to type it out on the command line over and over
again and would eventually memorize the short option, but you'd be
very considerate to use the long option in a script that others have
to read.

2) Typically the options -a -b -c are the same as -abc.  For example

   tar -x -z -v -f myarchive.tar.gz

is the same as

   tar -xzvf myarchive.tar.gz

But you can't parse like that if you allow the long options to also
followed by a single dash -- no way to distinguish them from a series
of short options.

Just a couple thoughts.

-David

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
What is the issue with using Commons CLI?

--jason

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Dec 1, 2005, at 11:36 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> FYI, you can implement -vv simply being the same as -v -v, the
> option will get processed twice.  Add add a simple counter to track
> how many times -v was used, then once finished paring options, set
> the verbosity according the the counter.  0=terse, 1=verbose,
> 2=more-verbose, etc...

Exactly.

-David

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On Dec 5, 2005, at 1:10 AM, John Sisson wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>

>> On Dec 1, 2005, at 9:33 PM, John Sisson wrote:
>>
>>> OK, I now believe it was a mistake suggesting we should have a
>>> short form of *each* option.
>>

>> Why? :)
>
> Why have them just for the sake of it.  We would only be
> encouraging people to write cryptic scripts that are harder to
> support and harder for new users to understand.  AFAIK gnu tar has
> a number of long options that don't have a short option.

They probably ran out of letters....

>>> I agree that I wouldn't run the options together like you can
>>> with  tar.
>>

>> Why not?
>

> Because I not being a *NIX freak wouldn't think of trying to
> obfuscate my commands like that :-)

heh.  It's not that hard :)

geir@optonline.net

Re: [LONG] Daemon command line option conventions - need to agree before 1.0

Posted by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
On 12/4/05, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@apache.org> wrote:
> For consistency...
>
> -V --veryverbose
>
> (it needs to be one char...)

Why?  -vv is fine.

Aaron

Re: [LONG] Daemon command line option conventions - need to agree before 1.0

Posted by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com>.
Matt,

This has already been closed in
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-1269 .

No one backed up Geir's suggestion to use one char so we will leave it
as is (see JIRA for details).

John

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
om> <63...@optonline.net>

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Dec 1, 2005, at 9:33 PM, John Sisson wrote:

> OK, I now believe it was a mistake suggesting we should have a
> short form of *each* option.

Why? :)

> I agree that I wouldn't run the options together like you can with
> tar.

Why not?

> I just want to make sure we have thought this through as now is our
> last chance to change it before introducing migration issues for
> supported releases.
>
> Considering the depoy tool uses "--" for its options so we should
> try to be consistent, here is my final attempt, trying to follow
> the short (-) and long (--) convention.  I actually have a habit of
> using the long form of options when coding commands in scripts for
> readability/supportability.
>
>      --quiet              ** changed from -quiet **
> -v    --verbose
> -vv   --veryverbose

For consistency...

-V --veryverbose

(it needs to be one char...)

geirm@apache.org

Re: [LONG] Daemon command line option conventions - need to agree before 1.0

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
I like that more.

Posted by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.