Posted to users@maven.apache.org by fa...@mpsa.com on 2005/11/30 15:03:38 UTC

Plugin release cycle: some thoughts

Hi guys,

I'm having thoughts about plugin release cycles that I'd like to share with
you.

I've been watching for Maven War plugin next release for quite some time
now. The reason is that there was a bug (MNG-1038) that was important for
me to be fixed. This bug was fixed and the patch applied in SVN 10 days
ago. So I waited a bit more to see if a release would happen, but it hasn't
so far... Therefore, I decided to build the plugin by myself, and,
surprise: I figured out that version 2.0.1-SNAPSHOT of the maven-archiver
has begun to be used in this plugin. So I'm wondering: when will the Maven
War plugin next release happen? If it has started using a snaphost version
of Maven 2.0.1 (which has 138 bugs and still growing), we won't see the
next release soon! (by release, I mean a stable release, even if it is not
fully functionnal) This actually means that there won't be a final release
of the war plugin for Maven 2.0.0... Which sounds weird to me.
Wouldn't it have more sens to say that Maven main plugins (like jar, war,
ear, and all those plugins that are widely used) should have at least 1
final release (i.e. not a beta) for each Maven Core release? In the case of
the war plugin, don't you think it should be released in a stable version
before using the next version of Maven Core? I'm quite upset to use Maven
Core 2.0 with "old" beta plugins like war or site (the latest version of
war plugin - version 2.0-beta-2, was released on October, 15th, that is
before Maven Core 2.0)

I find it important that plugins do not have the exact same release cycle
as Maven Core, but having at least 1 stable release for each Maven Core
release seems a real requirement: Maven Core without its plugins can't do
much things, and IMHO, a specific version of Maven Core should definitely
have a set of final versions of its main plugins.

What do you guys think of this?

Best Regards / Cordialement,
Fabrice BELLINGARD
DINQ/DSIN/INSI/EATE/IDVS/AIDV
(+33) (01 61) 45 15 91  -  fabrice.belingard@mpsa.com

Re: Plugin release cycle: some thoughts

Posted by Wim Deblauwe <wi...@gmail.com>.
I kind of agree with you, the same thing is true for the clover plugin.
There is a bug in there that needs 2.0.1, so we have the same problem there.
I am still sticking with Maven 1.x until 2.0.1 comes out.
Maven 2 is the first release of a major rewrite of Maven, so I'm not
suprised that the core will need some updating to satisfy all the plugin's
demands.

regards,

Wim