Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Christian Posta <ch...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/02 06:37:46 UTC

Re: Loads of TIME_WAIT connections

Check out http://www.unix.com/solaris/12257-time-wait-interval.html

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 12:05 AM, lacigas <la...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry if this has been asked before, I have seen several posts, but none of
> them helped.
>
> I'm running AMQ 5.8 on linux 64bit. Camel routes generated by Talend ESB.
>
> As a test I have one pooled connection factory (default values) and one jms
> consumer.
> The jms consumer is configured with cacheLevelName=CACHE_CONSUMER.
>
> Alone with this simple setup my camel route produces ~60 TIME_WAIT
> connections.
> Our system consists of several routes with multiple JMS components and if
> they are all running we have between 2000 and 3000 TIME_WAIT connections
> and
> that seems to kill our server.
>
> What I don't know if this behaviour is normal (loads of TIME_WAIT
> connections) and if not how to solve it.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Laci

*Christian Posta*
http://www.christianposta.com/blog
twitter: @christianposta

Re: Loads of TIME_WAIT connections

Posted by lacigas <la...@gmail.com>.
You are right, the problem is caused by the client.
The expiry timeout for the PooledConnectionFactory was set to 1ms by
default,
so every connection was going to TIME_WAIT state after 1ms if not used.
I have increased this numer and now I have a nice low number of TIME_WAIT
connections.

thanks
Laci

Re: Loads of TIME_WAIT connections

Posted by Geurt Schimmel <GS...@schubergphilis.com>.
But the real problem is that a client in a tcp connection doesn't properly (usually  not at all) close down the connection.
If you don't have control over clients (eg in a public network), lowering the time_wait interval is the only solution, but otherwise, look for missing close() calls at the client side.

Geurt