Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Hans Bakker <h....@antwebsystems.com> on 2015/05/05 05:01:12 UTC

Vote: move to git.

As the discussions seem to end, can i propose a vote?

The question : should we convert the master SVN repository of Apache
OFBIz to a GIT version?
The possible answers are according the apache voting guidelines at:
https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html

  *

    +1: 'Yes lets do it'

  * +0: 'I don't feel strongly about it, but I'm okay with this.'
  *

    -0.5: 'I don't like this idea, but I can't find any rational
    justification for my feelings.'

  *

    ++1: 'Wow! I like this! Let's /do/ it!'

  *

    -0.9: 'I /really/ don't like this, but I'm not going to stand in the
    way if everyone else wants to go ahead with it.'

  *

    +0.9: 'This is a cool idea and i like it, but I don't have time/the
    skills necessary to help out.'

  * -1 'I do not want this.'

Votes will be possible for one week from today.

Regards,
Hans

Re: Vote: move to git.

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ni...@nereide.fr>.
-0  (maybe it's the same that +0 ;) ), I vote +0 when I will use git,
but currently the fthe fear of change :).

Re: Vote: move to git.

Posted by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.
Am 05.05.2015 05:01, schrieb Hans Bakker:
> As the discussions seem to end, can i propose a vote?

+0

I personally prefer git anytime over svn, but it seems a few people are
not comfortable with git (yet). I'm using it already with ofbiz locally
(no commit via git yet but will try it soon)

Christian

Re: Vote: move to git.

Posted by Martin Becker <ma...@ecomify.de>.
Full ack for Adams remarks.

There should be a +0.5 like „I like this idea, but the realization has to be well planned for a point in the future where the all over organization fits the needs for a different contribution process" ;-)

So, +0.5 from me.

Martin Becker
ecomify GmbH
www.ecomify.de

Re: Vote: move to git.

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.

Re: Vote: move to git.

Posted by Julien NICOLAS <ju...@nomaka.fr>.
+0.9

Julien.

Re: Result: Vote: move to git.

Posted by Hans Bakker <h....@antwebsystems.com>.
That was a translation of your feeling :-)

Re: Result: Vote: move to git.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Re: Result: Vote: move to git.

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ni...@nereide.fr>.

Re: Result: Vote: move to git.

Posted by Hans Bakker <h....@antwebsystems.com>.
Good suggestions, Michael

Re: Result: Vote: move to git.

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.

Re: Result: Vote: move to git.

Posted by Christian Carlow <ch...@gmail.com>.
Are git patches acceptable or should they be provided as svn instead?
Command line supports git to svn formatting but I haven't found a way to
do so in eclipse yet.  If git isn't an acceptable format I'll make an
effort to convert all the patches I've provided for the past couple of
weeks.

Result: Vote: move to git.

Posted by Hans Bakker <h....@antwebsystems.com>.

Re: Vote: move to git.

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.
That's my point as well.  These most recent votes have not had concrete
actions attached to them.  Without a concrete plan, any kind of +# vote
is not definitive; a +1 could mean anything in these cases.

I chose +0 instead of -0 or -1, as I do believe git is the right
approach, but we need more time to figure out what will change.

* How does the submit-as-patch workflow change with Jira(still allow for
patch, but also allow for fork(clone)/push/merge-request)?

* How to deal with empty directories(svn allows them, git does not)?

* Do we try to support signed commits?

* Should Acked-By, Signed-off-By, etc be adopted as pseudo tags(see the
linux-kernel's use of git)?

* Use pseudo tags for Jira issues?

* What about CLA for all those fork/clone above?

* Who are the Lieutenants, and who is the Dictator(the linux kernel way,
not a suggestion for us)?

* What about line-ending changes?  Git has a feature(.gitattributes,
.git/info/attributes) that allow for many different flags to be set;
what would those values be?

These are just off the top of my head.

On 05/05/2015 08:06 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
> -1
>
> not because I don't like Git or because I don't think it wouldn't be a good fit for OFBiz; the reason for my negative vote is that in the vote there is no mention to the workflow the project will adopt; at the ASF there are some limitations due to Infrastructure and/or license/legal reasons and not all the way Git could be used are allowed (for example I don't think we will be allowed to accept Pull Requests from GitHub).

> http://karaf.apache.org/index/community/contributing.html (this is very similar to our current svn-based workflow)
> http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/GitAndHadoop (patch based contributions)
>
> I have mentioned a few times that until someone will take time to review what others do and what can be done @ASF with Git and come up with a proposal for OFBiz, my vote will be negative because it doesn't make any sense to vote for a tool or the other.
>
> Jacopo
>
> On May 5, 2015, at 5:01 AM, Hans Bakker <h....@antwebsystems.com> wrote:
>
>> As the discussions seem to end, can i propose a vote?
>>
>> The question : should we convert the master SVN repository of Apache OFBIz to a GIT version?
>> The possible answers are according the apache voting guidelines at: https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html
>>
>> *
>>
>>    +1: 'Yes lets do it'
>>
>> * +0: 'I don't feel strongly about it, but I'm okay with this.'
>> *
>>
>>    -0.5: 'I don't like this idea, but I can't find any rational
>>    justification for my feelings.'
>>
>> *
>>
>>    ++1: 'Wow! I like this! Let's /do/ it!'
>>
>> *
>>
>>    -0.9: 'I /really/ don't like this, but I'm not going to stand in the
>>    way if everyone else wants to go ahead with it.'
>>
>> *
>>
>>    +0.9: 'This is a cool idea and i like it, but I don't have time/the
>>    skills necessary to help out.'
>>
>> * -1 'I do not want this.'
>>

>> Votes will be possible for one week from today.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Hans
>>
>> On 20/04/15 11:38, Hans Bakker wrote:
>>> As discussed at apachecon in Austin, i propose to switch from svn to git for the ofbiz repository. The main reason being that all major contributors are using git and contributions are cumbersome, further, git allows for better branching and merging.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Hans

Re: Vote: move to git.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Consensus is always needed.

Best regards,

Pierre

Op woensdag 6 mei 2015 heeft Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>
het volgende geschreven:

--
Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*
Services & Solutions for Cloud-
Based Manufacturing, Professional
Services and Retail & Trade
http://www.orrtiz.com

Re: Vote: move to git.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
On May 6, 2015, at 9:54 AM, Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com> wrote:

> After creating a proper plan sure, now formally you have blocked progress with your veto.

The veto is only on commit changes, this vote is not for a commit change so my -1 doesn't count as a veto.

Jacopo

Re: Vote: move to git.

Posted by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.
C'mon Hans

The vote was about "should we convert the master SVN repository of
Apache OFBIz to a GIT version?"

Nobody stops you from creating a proper plan.

Christian

Re: Vote: move to git.

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.

Re: Vote: move to git.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.

Re: Vote: move to git.

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.

Re: Vote: move to git.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.

Re: Vote: move to git.

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.

Re: Vote: move to git.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.

Re: Vote: move to git.

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.

Re: Vote: move to git.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
On May 6, 2015, at 8:43 AM, Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jacopo,
>
> I am a bit of a noob on ASF policies. Is it possible to guide us on
> resources to read to be able to draft any kind of proposal?

Hi Taher,

please read my previous messages on this subject because they contain some of the information you are looking for.
A good document to start with could be this:
http://www.apache.org/dev/writable-git
and also the documents referred to it.
Then also a review of the workflow adopted by other ASF project that switched to git may help to get some good ideas for OFBiz; the projects are the following:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf
By visiting their websites/wikis/mail archives we could gather useful information about their experience and lessons learned; what the ASF allows and what not.

> Can you also
> define what is an implementation plan? Is it like a document, a migration
> process, a commit workflow, infrastructure or what exactly?

I wouldn't use the term "implementation plan" that was introduced by Hans: what I am asking for is essentially a description of the commit workflow proposed for OFBiz. Then we could compare it to what we have now and discuss its pros and cons.

Jacopo

Re: Vote: move to git.

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jacopo,

I am a bit of a noob on ASF policies. Is it possible to guide us on
resources to read to be able to draft any kind of proposal? Can you also

Re: Vote: move to git.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.

Re: Vote: move to git.

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.

Re: Vote: move to git.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.

Re: Vote: move to git.

Posted by Hans Bakker <h....@antwebsystems.com>.
Jacopo,

This vote was about IF we choose to go to Git, if the answer is yes,
sure then we need an implementation plan.

It is no use, setting up an implementation plan when there is still a
possibility people will reject it.

Regards,
Hans

PS. We really have to change the way we work here, I admire Adam,
spending so much time on maven when people can still reject it.

On 05/05/15 20:06, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
> -1
>
> not because I don't like Git or because I don't think it wouldn't be a good fit for OFBiz; the reason for my negative vote is that in the vote there is no mention to the workflow the project will adopt; at the ASF there are some limitations due to Infrastructure and/or license/legal reasons and not all the way Git could be used are allowed (for example I don't think we will be allowed to accept Pull Requests from GitHub).

> http://karaf.apache.org/index/community/contributing.html (this is very similar to our current svn-based workflow)
> http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/GitAndHadoop (patch based contributions)
>
> I have mentioned a few times that until someone will take time to review what others do and what can be done @ASF with Git and come up with a proposal for OFBiz, my vote will be negative because it doesn't make any sense to vote for a tool or the other.
>
> Jacopo
>
> On May 5, 2015, at 5:01 AM, Hans Bakker <h....@antwebsystems.com> wrote:
>
>> As the discussions seem to end, can i propose a vote?
>>
>> The question : should we convert the master SVN repository of Apache OFBIz to a GIT version?
>> The possible answers are according the apache voting guidelines at: https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html
>>
>> *
>>
>>    +1: 'Yes lets do it'
>>
>> * +0: 'I don't feel strongly about it, but I'm okay with this.'
>> *
>>
>>    -0.5: 'I don't like this idea, but I can't find any rational
>>    justification for my feelings.'
>>
>> *
>>
>>    ++1: 'Wow! I like this! Let's /do/ it!'
>>
>> *
>>
>>    -0.9: 'I /really/ don't like this, but I'm not going to stand in the
>>    way if everyone else wants to go ahead with it.'
>>
>> *
>>
>>    +0.9: 'This is a cool idea and i like it, but I don't have time/the
>>    skills necessary to help out.'
>>
>> * -1 'I do not want this.'
>>

>> Votes will be possible for one week from today.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Hans
>>
>> On 20/04/15 11:38, Hans Bakker wrote:
>>> As discussed at apachecon in Austin, i propose to switch from svn to git for the ofbiz repository. The main reason being that all major contributors are using git and contributions are cumbersome, further, git allows for better branching and merging.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Hans

Re: Vote: move to git.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
-1

Re: Vote: move to git.

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
+0

Git is a great tool once you understand the mechanisms and get used to it.
But I also think that it might be too early to make it the main source
control for the project. It takes extra effort for some and the
committers have to handle pull requests and such.

With the other bigger sub projects in mind (Maven, Moqui etc.) I think
we should not force it right now. The benefits are not that strong.

Regards,

Michael Brohl
ecomify GmbH
www.ecomify.de

Re: Vote: move to git.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
+0

Adrian Crum
Sandglass Software
www.sandglass-software.com

Re: Vote: move to git.

Posted by Gil portenseigne <gi...@nereide.fr>.
+0

Re: Vote: move to git.

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
+0

I like git and use it primarily but I'm not sure that adoption of git at
the ASF has reached the point where I'm prepared to force it onto the
unwilling.