Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Brendan Vogt <br...@gmail.com> on 2007/12/10 11:51:45 UTC

Category Setup

I am busy reading and working through the following section that says:

Category Setup

As described in the Catalog Setup section there are various basic Categories
that we need to create for our new Catalog. We will create four categories:

1. A Browse Root Category

2. A top-level browse Category to be a child of the browse root category

3. A Promotions Category

4. An "All Products" Category that will be setup as the Default Search,
Purchase Allow and View Allow categories for our catalog.

I am not understanding points 2 and 4.  Please can some explain?

Also, I do not understand the next piece of text:

For the top-level browse Category that will be a child of the Browse Root
Category associate them using the Rollup tab for whichever one you create
second. Both parent and child categories can be setup there.

Please can someone explain.

Thanks

Brendan

Re: Category Setup

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.
Browse categories are the one your customers will see (generally in the
left side bar). Browse Root is parent of all browse categories. You have
one Browse Root and multiple browse categories. You can again refer the
demo data in <ofbizdir>/applications/ecommerce/data/DemoProduct.xml for
details.

To make product searchable, viewable they need to be added to categories
such as Default Search, View Allow, etc. Instead of adding your product
to multiple categories, you can create one All Product category and set
it up as Default Search, View Allow etc.

Better if you spend some time in the demo application and look around in
catalog manager how these are setup.

Raj