Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> on 2011/11/30 02:04:54 UTC

Re: Voting time period can be shortened ?

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 04:49:03PM -0800, Paul Querna wrote:
> > We would like to know if it is OK to either -
> >
> > 1. shorten the release VOTE for change to one non-code file
> > 2. run 72 hour vote in parallel on the dev list as well as on general@
> >
> > What we would like to know is if any member would "-1" the vote if we
> > choose to do either of the above ?
>
> You can most definitely run the votes in parallel.  I did this for
> almost all of the Libcloud releases while it was in incubator.

In my view, it's appropriate to run the votes in parallel if the RM has good
reason to believe that the vote will pass.  It would certainly make sense when
a freelance IPMC member has detected something in a previous general@ VOTE
thread.

However, I don't think it should be standard operating procedure to run votes
in parallel, because I don't think it's to our benefit to clog the general@
list with busted vote threads about about broken builds, missing dependencies,
failing tests and so on.  Votes should come to general@ only after technical
problems have been worked out.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: Voting time period can be shortened ?

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Nov 29, 2011, at 20:04, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> wrote:

> In my view, it's appropriate to run the votes in parallel if the RM has good
> reason to believe that the vote will pass.

Presumably nobody would waste anybody's time calling for a vote when they have reason to believe it wouldn't pass, would they?