Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Shashi <sh...@hotmail.com> on 2006/08/26 20:48:34 UTC

Message not received by Consumer

Hello,

We are facing an issue wherein one of the consumer does not receive a
message. Message is sent by a producer and received by all consumers, expect
one. Further, it is not the same consumer missing the message it could be
any one and sometimes more than one. ActiveMQ broker is running as separate
process in 'out of box' mode without any modification to runtime scripts.
Producers and Consumers are running in a separate JVM connecting to the
broker and using single Topic for message distribution. This issue happens
intermittenly and is not easily reproducible.

I have following questions

1. Is it possible to take a dump of broker statistics at any point of time
to figure out why the message was not delivered?

2. Since we using 1.4.2 for dependency reason, JConsole is not an option. Is
there an alternative?

3. Is there a way to turn on log4j and will it help provide information?

thanks in advance.

regards
Shashi

Re: Message not received by Consumer

Posted by John Heitmann <jh...@gmail.com>.
On Aug 26, 2006, at 11:48 AM, Shashi wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are facing an issue wherein one of the consumer does not receive a
> message. Message is sent by a producer and received by all
> consumers, expect
> one. Further, it is not the same consumer missing the message it
> could be
> any one and sometimes more than one. ActiveMQ broker is running as
> separate
> process in 'out of box' mode without any modification to runtime
> scripts.
> Producers and Consumers are running in a separate JVM connecting to
> the
> broker and using single Topic for message distribution. This issue
> happens
> intermittenly and is not easily reproducible.

Non-durable topics are susceptible by design to message loss during
minor failures. Are you using a transport like failover that would be
masking temporary connection and broker outages? Have you tried
durable topics?

> 2. Since we using 1.4.2 for dependency reason, JConsole is not an
> option. Is
> there an alternative?

JConsole :) If you can find any machine at all that you can install
jdk 5 or 6 on then you can use JConsole remotely regardless of what
your constraints are in your production environment. There is also a
web console that comes with the bundle, but I'm not sure what
information it exposes since I've not used it myself.

> 3. Is there a way to turn on log4j and will it help provide
> information?

There's a JConsole operation to change the log level on the fly. You
can change it on the command line as well. Look at the examples in
the maroon boxes on this page: http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/
manual.html

John