Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Hannah Jiang <ha...@google.com> on 2020/03/24 21:10:02 UTC

Re: [PROPOSAL] Add licenses and notices to SDK docker images

Hi Team

I added some more contents to the documents to discuss how to manage new
dependencies and licenses.

Main ideas are
1. Run precommit tests for PRs to check if new dependencies and license are
added or removed.
2. Run daily checks to see if license and notice context are updated and
sent PRs automatically to update licenses and notices.

Please review *When run dependency check* section and provide inputs to
improve the process.
Link: https://s.apache.org/eauq6

Hannah

Posted by Robert Bradshaw <ro...@google.com>.
Thank you for updating the doc. As I mentioned on the PR, I do not
think we should check all 100K lines of auto-generated/pulled licence
files into the repository and run separate asynchronous processes to
try to keep things in sync and fix things up as dependencies evolve.
Instead, we should populate the container licenses with what's
actually in the container at container build time as part of the
container build process.