Posted to apreq-dev@httpd.apache.org by Joseph Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com> on 2015/03/08 08:11:07 UTC

Re: Was there any concrete decision on apreq?

In a nutshell the long term goal has always been to get the c parts of apreq incorporated into httpd distributions so the perl parts can ship with modperl.  This is still along those lines.  In order to continue to expose the cool cgi code that Issac added to libapreq we need to ensure there is an actual external library still when we ship with httpd otherwise we lose the modular features we spent so much time designing as apreq would then be limited to httpd modules only.  I'd like to see it serve the entire gamut of web apps including fast cgi.  That's what my ongoing plans are for the httpd project.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by "Victor J. Orlikowski" <vi...@alumni.duke.edu>.
On Mar 8, 2015, at 11:46 AM, Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> wrote:

> For ages library functions for httpd have ended up in APR, but this isn’t ideal - APR is a portability layer, and even though code is being accepted that “works with APR”, in reality we really need a libhttpd library that can provide “web server like stuff” in a proper true library form. Will certainly make tools in the “support” area of the httpd tree easier to develop for, as none of the tools have access to httpd proper, and code must be cut and pasted.
>
> I don’t like that apreq as a loadable module, but I would love it as a proper shared library.
>
> Same with the expressions code.

+1

Best,
Victor
--
Victor J. Orlikowski <> victor.j.orlikowski@alumni.duke.edu

Re: Was there any concrete decision on apreq?

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
apreq is really both Graham, a httpd module and a library.But what I'd like to see is the apreq stuff in the server'score put into a separate library and have either httpd orthe apreq module link to it.
Unfortunately the existing build system for apreq is automakebased, and I don't have much knowledge right now about howto build a dll from httpd's build system.  Other people do obviously,I mean apr does it, it's just not something I immediately grok.

     On Sunday, March 8, 2015 11:48 AM, Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> wrote:

 On 08 Mar 2015, at 9:11 AM, Joseph Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In a nutshell the long term goal has always been to get the c parts of apreq incorporated into httpd distributions so the perl parts can ship with modperl.  This is still along those lines.  In order to continue to expose the cool cgi code that Issac added to libapreq we need to ensure there is an actual external library still when we ship with httpd otherwise we lose the modular features we spent so much time designing as apreq would then be limited to httpd modules only.  I'd like to see it serve the entire gamut of web apps including fast cgi.  That's what my ongoing plans are for the httpd project.

+1.

For ages library functions for httpd have ended up in APR, but this isn’t ideal - APR is a portability layer, and even though code is being accepted that “works with APR”, in reality we really need a libhttpd library that can provide “web server like stuff” in a proper true library form. Will certainly make tools in the “support” area of the httpd tree easier to develop for, as none of the tools have access to httpd proper, and code must be cut and pasted.

I don’t like that apreq as a loadable module, but I would love it as a proper shared library.

Same with the expressions code.

Regards,
Graham
—

RE: Was there any concrete decision on apreq?

Posted by Plüm, Rüdiger, Vodafone Group <ru...@vodafone.com>.

Sounds sensible.

Regards

Rüdiger

RE: Was there any concrete decision on apreq?

Posted by Plüm, Rüdiger, Vodafone Group <ru...@vodafone.com>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "Victor J. Orlikowski" <vi...@alumni.duke.edu>.

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.