Posted to dev@ctakes.apache.org by Jeritt Thayer <je...@gmail.com> on 2019/09/17 18:03:50 UTC

Re: unicode issues [EXTERNAL]

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the information. I was having a similar issue related to "spans" occasionally being off by one when running cTAKES 4.0.0 in two different modes - a modified entry point for a Spark cluster and validation of a random subset using runClinicalPipeline.sh.

I was looking through the FileTreeReader class and noticed something that I think may have contributed to the discrepancies. The following line (https://github.com/apache/ctakes/blob/7f6dfd7d20253f88c25bea2fdde5cf22b004b63d/ctakes-core/src/main/java/org/apache/ctakes/core/cr/FileTreeReader.java#L243) sets a buffer to 8192, which will read in the first 8192 bytes. At that point, this first byte array is converted into a string.

What I noticed for some of our documents is that the last position in the byte array would occur in the middle of a multiple byte character. As a result, the method tries to convert the first part of the character’s bytes to a string on the first loop, and then tries to convert the second portion on the second iteration. This results in an additional character, which I think is ultimately causing our "span" discrepancy.

Does my thought process make sense with your understanding of the code?

Thanks,
Jeritt

Re: unicode issues [EXTERNAL]

Posted by "Finan, Sean" <Se...@childrens.harvard.edu>.
Hi Jeritt,

That makes perfect sense.  I will ruminate on possible solutions.  Somebody must have dealt with this elsewhere.

Thanks,

I was looking through the FileTreeReader class and noticed something that I think may have contributed to the discrepancies. The following line (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_apache_ctakes_blob_7f6dfd7d20253f88c25bea2fdde5cf22b004b63d_ctakes-2Dcore_src_main_java_org_apache_ctakes_core_cr_FileTreeReader.java-23L243&d=DwIBaQ&c=qS4goWBT7poplM69zy_3xhKwEW14JZMSdioCoppxeFU&r=fs67GvlGZstTpyIisCYNYmQCP6r0bcpKGd4f7d4gTao&m=AdmrGg-g9T2SpuyempiTz8pKMeK0xDSFufT3r6bAefI&s=KWepFY7D3KjFInbdGF2_T-K-GGpfYgUmREq49VRxP_A&e= ) sets a buffer to 8192, which will read in the first 8192 bytes. At that point, this first byte array is converted into a string.

Re: unicode issues [EXTERNAL]

Posted by "Finan, Sean" <Se...@childrens.harvard.edu>.
Hi Jeritt,

I checked in a change to FileTreeReader.  There is good and bad:  The bad is that it will ignore any encoding explicitly set by the user.  The good is that it will bypass the buffer-to-String step, so as long as Java figures out the encoding there should be no problems with buffers cutting characters in half.

My tests have worked on different 3 encodings, but if anybody out there has problems then please let me know.

Thanks again for making me aware of a problem.