Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Kevin Pilch-Bisson <ke...@pilch-bisson.net> on 2001/02/12 19:38:10 UTC

Feature request realpath(3) wrapper

Hi All,

In doing some work for Subversion, I came accross a need to convert
relative pathnames to absolute pathnames.  Now realpath works under
Linux, but I am told it is broken under some versions of Solaris
(although it works for 2.5), and doesn't exist under win32(although
there is _fullpath).  I have no idea about BeOS.

Is this something that anyone on the APR team would like to implement in
a nice portable fashion?

--
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kevin Pilch-Bisson
kevin@pilch-bisson.net
http://www.pilch-bisson.net
PGP Public Key At http://pgp.pilch-bisson.net

Re: Feature request realpath(3) wrapper

Posted by Sam TH <sa...@uchicago.edu>.
On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 01:38:10PM -0500, Kevin Pilch-Bisson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> In doing some work for Subversion, I came accross a need to convert
> relative pathnames to absolute pathnames.  Now realpath works under
> Linux, but I am told it is broken under some versions of Solaris
> (although it works for 2.5), and doesn't exist under win32(although
> there is _fullpath).  I have no idea about BeOS.

Just for the sake of info, it doesn't appear the BeOS provides
anything of this sort at all.

	sam th
	sam@uchicago.edu
	http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
	GnuPG Key:
	http://www.abisource.com/~sam/key

Re: Feature request realpath(3) wrapper

Posted by David Reid <dr...@jetnet.co.uk>.
In fact the same problem cropped up with BeOS on PHP, so it could be
useful... :)

david

Re: Feature request realpath(3) wrapper

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 07:46:18PM -0500, Kevin Pilch-Bisson wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 02:44:17PM -0600, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> > In the works :-)
>
> Anything I can help you with, I have access to a Solaris 2.5 box, and a
> Linux glibc 2.1 box.  Not exactly the most obscure machines I know, but
> I will do my best if you need me to do anything.

Kevin -- post your function here. That is our starting place.

Even better if you give it a nice APR name and stuff :-)

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: Feature request realpath(3) wrapper

Posted by Kevin Pilch-Bisson <ke...@pilch-bisson.net>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
In the works :-)

Re: Feature request realpath(3) wrapper

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
Hmmmmm........  This could be very interesting.  Let's throw this into the
STATUS file, and see who picks it up.  I believe this will also be handled
by Will Rowe's canonical filename stuff, but I would need him to reply to
be absolutely sure.

Ryan

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Kevin Pilch-Bisson wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> In doing some work for Subversion, I came accross a need to convert
> relative pathnames to absolute pathnames.  Now realpath works under
> Linux, but I am told it is broken under some versions of Solaris
> (although it works for 2.5), and doesn't exist under win32(although
> there is _fullpath).  I have no idea about BeOS.
>
> Is this something that anyone on the APR team would like to implement in
> a nice portable fashion?
>
> --
> Kevin Pilch-Bisson
> kevin@pilch-bisson.net