Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by y_...@tsmc.com on 2009/07/08 07:30:33 UTC

Region server stopped working or lose connection while running out of memory? (HBASE0.20)

Hi there,

We have hadoop cluster with only 3PCs. Two are region sever with only 1GB
and 2GB RAM.
I wonder whether the region server had lost connection or stopped working
while running out of its memory.
Once I had restarted HBASE, for a while, it worked again.
If you don't stop putting data to HBase, the full cached region server,
will have no time to convert
its cached to HDFS, then it will become untouchable. Is my thinking
correct?

Fleming
                                                         TSMC PROPERTY
 for the sole use of its
 other than the intended
 please notify the sender by
 immediately. Thank you.

Re: Region server stopped working or lose connection while running out of memory? (HBASE0.20)

Posted by stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 10:30 PM, <y_...@tsmc.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> We have hadoop cluster with only 3PCs. Two are region sever with only 1GB
> and 2GB RAM.

You have two regionservers and they have different amounts of RAM?

By default, HBASE sets its heap at 1G.

What else is running on these machines?

Are your machines swapping -- particularly the 1G regionserver?

What kind of machines are they if you don't mind?

> I wonder whether the region server had lost connection or stopped working
> while running out of its memory.

How many regions loaded in your regionserver?

> Once I had restarted HBASE, for a while, it worked again.
> If you don't stop putting data to HBase, the full cached region server,
> will have no time to convert
> its cached to HDFS, then it will become untouchable. Is my thinking
> correct?

I'm not sure I follow.  Are you seeing the regionserver overrun?  It can't
keep up with compactions or its not flushing fast enough?

How are you doing your upload?  What kind of application is it?

Thanks,
St.Ack