Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org> on 2009/06/18 02:50:02 UTC

[VOTE] Maven 2.2.0 (Second Attempt)

Hi,

I'm opening a new vote for Maven 2.2.0 after closing:

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-4169
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-4207

All URLs below have been updated where appropriate.

-----------

Okay, it looks like there haven't been many problems with the latest RC
of Maven 2.2.0. So, I'd like to put it up for a vote.

We've solved 25 issues for this release:

http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10500&styleName=Html&version=15103

You can download the source-release artifact which contains the
fully-buildable project structure, or the executable binaries from here:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-staging-022/

There will be a couple of documentation improvements for this release as
well. I haven't deployed the site updates, but you can find the
documents here:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/site/trunk/src/site/apt/guides/mini/guide-building-jdk14-on-jdk15.apt
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/site/trunk/src/site/apt/guides/mini/guide-default-execution-ids.apt

This vote will be open for 72 hours:

[ ] +1
[ ] +0
[ ] -1

Here's my +1.

Thanks,

-john

---
John Casey
Developer and PMC Member, Apache Maven (http://maven.apache.org)
Member, Apache Software Foundation

"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing."
        -Aristotle

Re: [CANCELED] [VOTE] Maven 2.2.0 (Second Attempt)

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
done. I'll finish up the log4j stuff this morning and hopefully have a
new RC out for testing this afternoon.

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
Okay, I'm retracting this vote to fix:

MNG-4210
MNG-4213

This puts wagon -beta-6 in the release train for Maven 2.2.0. I'll stage
them both simultaneously for an RC period, then try to do the releases.

-john

Re: [VOTE] Maven 2.2.0 (Second Attempt)

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
jesse mcconnell
jesse.mcconnell@gmail.com

Posted by Steve Ariantaj <st...@tvworks.com>.
+1 [non-binding]

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.
John Casey wrote:

> but unless it's completely hiding all output I'd say we should fix it in 2.2.1.

+1, btw I already created a JIRA [0] for this:

Benjamin

[0]  http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-4210

Re: [VOTE] Maven 2.2.0 (Second Attempt)

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.
John Casey schrieb:
> This would be because of the recent addition of log4j, which is now
> shaded into the Maven binary (bundled with a changed package structure
> to keep it out of the way of plugins' own log4j dependencies).
> httpclient is using log4j because it's available, but log4j doesn't have
> a configuration included...resulting in this error.

If the core depends on something using commons-logging, then the core
should also configure commons-logging, IMHO. Maybe the core better
provides a commons-logging configuration disabling any use of the thread
context classloader ?

/**
 * The name (<code>use_tccl</code>) of the key in the config file used
 * to specify whether logging classes should be loaded via the thread
 * context class loader (TCCL), or not. By default, the TCCL is used.
 */
public static final String TCCL_KEY = "use_tccl";

Regarding the vote: 0 (non binding)

--
Christian

Re: [VOTE] Maven 2.2.0 (Second Attempt)

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@gmail.com>.
Just as a side note, I don't thing the wiki page
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Maven+2.2.0+Release+Plan is up to
date with current release candidate, is it ?
Nicolas

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.
Ok John and I looked into this further and here's what we found:

Maven 2.2.0 (with the new wagon) is sending preemptive authentication.
The reason it failed for me is I had a server entry for Nexus that
matched my mirror setting. The auth in there was for another Nexus and
not for my personal one. In previous versions of Maven, the
authentication was only sent if the server sent a 401. In this
version, the client is sending the incorrect auth before getting a 401
and the server nacks it.

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi John,

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
+1

Tested on Maven doxia, wagon, release and some plugins and Incubator shindig

Cheers,

Vincent

Posted by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>.
+1

-Lukas

Posted by Paul MERLIN <pa...@nosphere.org>.
+1

Tested on some little oss project plus some corp. ones without any issue.

Did not test the release cycle yet.

/Paul

Posted by Reinhard Nägele <re...@mgm-tp.com>.
+1 [non-binding]

Tested with a couple of multi-module projects, especially looking at MNG-4140.

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
+1

Tested with CXF and some of the profiles that don't work correctly with 2.1.0
work fine with 2.2.0.

Dan

On Wed June 17 2009 8:50:02 pm John Casey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm opening a new vote for Maven 2.2.0 after closing:
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-4169
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-4207
>
> All URLs below have been updated where appropriate.
>
> -----------
>
> Okay, it looks like there haven't been many problems with the latest RC
> of Maven 2.2.0. So, I'd like to put it up for a vote.
>
> We've solved 25 issues for this release:
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10500&styleName=
>Html&version=15103
>
> You can download the source-release artifact which contains the
> fully-buildable project structure, or the executable binaries from here:
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-staging-022/
>
> There will be a couple of documentation improvements for this release as
> well. I haven't deployed the site updates, but you can find the
> documents here:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/site/trunk/src/site/apt/guides/mini/g
>uide-building-jdk14-on-jdk15.apt
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/site/trunk/src/site/apt/guides/mini/g
>uide-default-execution-ids.apt
>
> This vote will be open for 72 hours:
>
> [ ] +1
> [ ] +0
> [ ] -1
>
> Here's my +1.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -john
>
> ---
> John Casey
> Developer and PMC Member, Apache Maven (http://maven.apache.org)
> Member, Apache Software Foundation
>
> "What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing."
>         -Aristotle

Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org
http://www.dankulp.com/blog