Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Bolke de Bruin <bd...@gmail.com> on 2018/03/23 10:31:03 UTC

(Click) support required

Hi All,

What you might not know is that we have an outstanding issue with Legal*. Deep down our dependencies there is a GPL library called `unidecode`. Although we are not distributing this library in any form it will still be pulled in if you do an `pip install apache-airflow`. This makes some people uneasy. The author of unidecode and the dependency that pulls it in both argue that the usage is equal to using an API (i.e. glibc or kernel headers). Still some resistance is being felt from the larger Apache community. To be able to graduate from the incubator this issue certainly needs to be resolved.

In order to overcome the issue I have created an issue** and PR*** for python-slugify that allows al alternative implementation of the unidecode api to be used. In this case text-unidecode which is dual licensed under the Perl Artistic and GPL. Perl Artistic is compatible with the APL 2.

The author of python-slugify has been reluctant in the past to integrate this change. So I am calling upon the Airflow community to friendly “+1” the issue and PR in order to get this moving forward. Again I like this to be friendly, because we are happy users of said code, but I think with some extra love we might nudge the author to integrate the change.

Thanks and if you have any other suggestions it is highly appreciated!

* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-362
** Issue: https://github.com/un33k/python-slugify/issues/52
*** PR: https://github.com/un33k/python-slugify/pull/53 <https://github.com/un33k/python-slugify/pull/53>

Bolke

Re: (Click) support required

Posted by Bolke de Bruin <bd...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

All projects have released new versions, so all what is left is to update our own dependencies and add some documentation in case you want to avoid a GPL library.

Thanks for all the support!

Bolke

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPad

Re: (Click) support required