Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Thejas Nair <th...@hortonworks.com> on 2014/10/08 00:53:48 UTC

[VOTE] officially stop supporting hadoop 0.20.x in hive 0.14 ?

I think it is time to revisit the support for hive support for hadoop
0.20. Trying to maintain support for it puts additional burden on hive
contributors.

The last hadoop 0.20.x version was released on Feb 2010. Hadoop 1.0
was released in Dec 2011.
I believe most users have moved on to hadoop 2.x or at least hadoop
1.x . The users if any that are still on hadoop 0.20 probably don't
tend to upgrade their hive versions as well.

With the move to maven for builds in hive 0.13, we don't have the
ability to compile against hadoop 0.20. (Nobody has complains about
that AFAIK). I am not sure if hive 0.13 works well against hadoop
0.20, as it is not clear if that combination is in use. Also, most
commercial vendors seem to be focussing on testing it against hadoop
2.x.

I think it is time to do away with this added burden of attempting to
support hadoop 0.20.x versions.

Here is my +1 for officially stopping support for hadoop 0.20.x in hive 0.14 .

Thanks,
Thejas

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: [VOTE] officially stop supporting hadoop 0.20.x in hive 0.14 ?

Posted by Mohammad Islam <mi...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
+1.

     On Tuesday, October 7, 2014 6:02 PM, Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com> wrote:

 +1

Posted by Xuefu Zhang <xz...@cloudera.com>.
Thanks for the explanation, Thejas. I was just wondering how come we're
suddenly making a decision out of nowhere. It might be rare, but I do know
users being still on 0.20. Regardless, I think a long term plan for things
like this would be helpful to avoid surprises. I know we discussed about
this in the past, but it never reached a consensus. Maybe we should have
had a vote like this at that time.

Having said that, I understand value of the dev savings. So, go ahead.

On the side note, the next thing to drop might be JDK6. Maybe we can start
voting on a plan on that in advance.

--Xuefu

Posted by Thejas Nair <th...@hortonworks.com>.
Xuefu,

Posted by Xuefu Zhang <xz...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Vikram Dixit <vi...@hortonworks.com>.
+1

Posted by Bill Busch <Bi...@perficient.com>.
+1

Follow me on   @BigData73

Posted by Gunther Hagleitner <gh...@hortonworks.com>.
+1

Posted by Lefty Leverenz <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sergey Shelukhin <se...@hortonworks.com>.
+1

Posted by Prasanth Jayachandran <pj...@hortonworks.com>.
+1

Posted by Eugene Koifman <ek...@hortonworks.com>.
+1

wrote:

> +1.
>
> Thanks,
> --Vaibhav
>
> On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 3:53 PM, Thejas Nair <th...@hortonworks.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I think it is time to revisit the support for hive support for hadoop
> > 0.20. Trying to maintain support for it puts additional burden on hive
> > contributors.
> >
> > The last hadoop 0.20.x version was released on Feb 2010. Hadoop 1.0
> > was released in Dec 2011.
> > I believe most users have moved on to hadoop 2.x or at least hadoop
> > 1.x . The users if any that are still on hadoop 0.20 probably don't
> > tend to upgrade their hive versions as well.
> >
> > With the move to maven for builds in hive 0.13, we don't have the
> > ability to compile against hadoop 0.20. (Nobody has complains about
> > that AFAIK). I am not sure if hive 0.13 works well against hadoop
> > 0.20, as it is not clear if that combination is in use. Also, most
> > commercial vendors seem to be focussing on testing it against hadoop
> > 2.x.
> >
> > I think it is time to do away with this added burden of attempting to
> > support hadoop 0.20.x versions.
> >
> > Here is my +1 for officially stopping support for hadoop 0.20.x in hive
> > 0.14 .
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Thejas
> >
> > --
> > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> that
> immediately

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Eugene

Posted by Vaibhav Gumashta <vg...@hortonworks.com>.
+1.

Posted by Gopal V <go...@apache.org>.
On 10/7/14, 3:53 PM, Thejas Nair wrote:

+1

Cheers,
Gopal

Posted by Thejas Nair <th...@hortonworks.com>.
Thanks Ashutosh for creating that. This should greatly reduce the size
of the shims layer!

Posted by Ashutosh Chauhan <ha...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.
+1.