Posted to user@ant.apache.org by "Ciramella, EJ" <EC...@emptoris.com> on 2003/05/20 15:16:34 UTC

RE: Advantage of Ant Over Makefiles

Download ant and read the Welcome.html doc in the root of the installation
and the Ant In Anger portion of the docs.

I recently went looking for some site that said that ANT is industry
standard, but I couldn't find anything.  One thing is for sure, ANT blows
the pants of make, nmake, bat files, shell scripts, etc...

We had quite a nightmare process here, at least three different batch files
before hitting nmake.  I took the time to convert this nonsense to 2 xml
files.  It's much MUCH cleaner and so much more intuitive (huge selling
point).  Another plus is ANT's extendibility.  ANT not doing what you need
it to do?  Write your own task, share with the community if you like (could
wind up in a release).  With make, what can you do?  Have it call another
batch file?  Have it call some other shell script?

Are you supporting multiple environments?  It's really easy to include the
build file at the root of a project and put the source on
Solaris/WIN/Linux/OSX/<insertotheroshere> and build - simple as that.  No
worrying if the version of make on WIN is the same as the one on X.

How about tight IDE integration?  Idea doesn't support nmake.  Neither does
Eclipse.  Neither does <insertIDEhere>.....

Could you share a little about the project that you're working on?  In the
past, I've simply pulled together ANT scripts to make my life easier
(release engineer), put them into a working project and voilia!  Everyone
soon is asking, "Can you add this?"  "Can you add that?".  "Ant is soo much
faster"  "Building all the beans in parallel is much better"....

Goes on and on.....