Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Carnegie, Martin" <Ma...@atcoitek.com> on 2005/04/25 22:18:03 UTC

Low detection rate

Hi All,

We have been using SA for the past year and a half with detection rates
around 95% or better (based on client feedback).  Over the past couple
days (since Thursday April 21st) we have been getting lots of spam
making it through with detection rates at about 50%. Has anyone else
seen this?

We are currently on 3.0.1 with the following rules
40_antidrug.cf
70_sare_adult.cf
70_sare_html0.cf
99_chickenpox.cf
99_mangled.cf
99_sare_fraud_post25x.cf

We are not using Bayes, Razor or Pyzor as we have had really good
success without them.

Any recommendations (other than the "turn on Bayes")?

Thanks

Re: Low detection rate

Posted by DNI Support Department <su...@dynamicnet.net>.
Greetings Martin:

Use surbl.

Thank you.

Re: Low detection rate

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Paul Fielding wrote:

>Matt Kettler <mkettler <at> evi-inc.com> writes:
>

>>Also, make sure your Net::DNS is sufficiently up-to-date so that the
>>URIBL tests (SURBL, etc) can run. Look to make sure you've got some spam
>>hitting URIBL_SC_SURBL, URIBL_WS_SURBL, etc.
>>

>Any suggestions on testing that the ability of URIBL tests to run?  Looking at
>my own spam hits, it appears none are getting hit by URIBL tests anymore and
>I'd like to figure out what made them stop, or if they have indeed stopped....
>
>regards,
>
>Paul

Use the test point, this should hit one of the SURBL lists, but I forget
if it shows up as WS or SC:

http://surbl-org-permanent-test-point.com/

Re: Low detection rate

Posted by Paul Fielding <pa...@fielding.ca>.

RE: Low detection rate

Posted by Bret Miller <br...@wcg.org>.

> To up hit rate I'd recommend adding the SARE random ruleset, and the
> tripwire ruleset.

Incidentally, you'll find custom rulesets defined here:
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/CustomRulesets

Some of our ruleset writers should edit this page so it's more
current....

Bret

Re: Low detection rate

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Carnegie, Martin wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We have been using SA for the past year and a half with detection
> rates around 95% or better (based on client feedback).  Over the past
> couple days (since Thursday April 21st) we have been getting lots of
> spam making it through with detection rates at about 50%. Has anyone
> else seen this?
>
> We are currently on 3.0.1 with the following rules
> 40_antidrug.cf
> 70_sare_adult.cf
> 70_sare_html0.cf
> 99_chickenpox.cf
> 99_mangled.cf
> 99_sare_fraud_post25x.cf
>
> We are not using Bayes, Razor or Pyzor as we have had really good
> success without them.
>
> Any recommendations (other than the "turn on Bayes")?

My first suggestion would be to remove 40_antidrug.cf. While this won't
improve your hit-rate, it will remove duplication in your configuration.
SA 3.0 and higher ship with antidrug already included in 20_drugs.cf, so
40_antidrug.cf is just a duplication.

To up hit rate I'd recommend adding the SARE random ruleset, and the
tripwire ruleset.

Also, make sure your Net::DNS is sufficiently up-to-date so that the
URIBL tests (SURBL, etc) can run. Look to make sure you've got some spam
hitting URIBL_SC_SURBL, URIBL_WS_SURBL, etc.

Lastly, make sure that no spam messages are hitting the ALL_TRUSTED
rule. If they are, try checking for a broken trust path:

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/TrustPath