Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Al Byers <by...@automationgroups.com> on 2006/09/13 15:01:15 UTC

2006 OFBiz Users Conference

I hated the idea that 2006 could slip by without having an official
OFBiz Users Conference, so we are going to try to pull one off. I have
talked to David and he agreed that we can host it at his place. The
dates that we have chosen are Nov. 3-4 (Fri-Sat) with some associated
meetings on either side. Details will be forthcoming, but at this late
date, I felt an announcement needed to be made as soon as possible.

This will be a very different affair from the wonderfully hosted 2005
Users Conference at which we were lavishly treated by Contegix. Ephraim
is more than 100 miles from the Salt Lake City airport and there is
nothing to do there, so the emphasis will be on just getting to know
other members of the community. David Jones owns a small hotel/hostel
that should accommodate us all, so instead of breaking at the end of the
day's meetings we will all generally congregate in the lobby and not
leave the building. It will be a very informal, relaxed setting.

On Thursday, Nov. 2, David would like to see a meeting of the OFBiz
steering committee, and any other active developers, to discuss the
direction in which OFBiz will go. It would be a good time for parties
that are interested in particular aspects of OFBiz to get together.
David is planning some training to happen at the beginning of the
following week (Nov. 6 -). It would be good, if possible, for all
attendees to arrive on Thursday night.

We are committed that no one should have to rent a car to get to this
event, so, to that end, the help with transportation from anyone whose
company would foot the bill for a rental car would be greatly appreciated.

We will need presenters. It will probably be a small crowd, so do not
hesitate to suggest a title in which you are interested. David will be
sure to make a presentation or two and it will be a good time to find
out what he sees for the future of OFBiz.

Details will be forthcoming. Please discuss this on the list, but you
might as well wait for logistical details. Hopefully, discussion will
center around what sort of things we can accomplish in a short amount of
time. Again, I would suggest that the primary benefit of this meeting
will simply be a chance to form relationships with fellow OFBiz users. I
believe that there will be many OFBiz-related opportunities in the
future and it will be easier to capitalize on them if you have a strong
network. Of course, we would like to get an idea, as soon as possible,
of how many people will be attending.

While there is not much to do in Ephraim, itself, I would advise anyone
who is coming to plan to stay over till Sunday at least. David's lodging
rates will be very low. Ephraim is a couple of hours from three national
parks - Zions, Bryce and Capital Reef. It is about 4 hours from Las
Vegas and about 7 to the Grand Canyon, so it would be a chance to soak
in some of the most beautiful scenery that you will ever see. Another
things to do is take a 4-wheeler excursion (they are street legal in
Ephraim). We will try to make rentals available if there is enough interest.

Again, I know that the timing is poor, but think of it as the last
chance to attend a small OFBiz event, as I expect the rest of our user
conferences to be much larger.

Details to follow.

-Al Byers