Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Sharath Jagannath <sh...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/08 19:35:08 UTC

indexing bigdata

Is indexing around 30 Million documents in a single solr instance efficient?
Has somebody experimented it? Planning to use it for an autosuggest feature
I am implementing, so expecting the response in few milliseconds.
Should I be looking at sharding?

Thanks,
Sharath

Re: indexing bigdata

Posted by Robert Stewart <bs...@gmail.com>.
It very much depends on your data and also what query features you will use.  How many fields, the size of each field, how many unique values per field, how many fields are stored vs. only indexed, etc.  I have a system with 3+ billion does, and each instance (each index core) has 120million docs and it flies.  But the documents are tiny only 3 fields each, and the search is very simple single keyword match.  On another system we only have 7 million docs per instance and it is slower because documents are much much larger with many more fields, and we do a lot of faceting and other advanced search features.

Also other factors such as what type of features you will use for search (faceting, field collapsing, wildcard queries, etc.) can all increase search time vs. just simple keyword search.

Unfortunately it is one of those things you need to try it out to really get an answer IMO.

Re: indexing bigdata

Posted by Sharath Jagannath <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: indexing bigdata

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.