Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Chun Wei Ho <cw...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/08 04:07:18 UTC

Re: Search with sponsored ads?

In our case we have many ads but show only a few per page. Our ads are
also in a Nutch index.

Currently they are sorted by relevancy to users' search items and the
top few are shown. We would like to weight this order according to
their show frequency for the past day to achieve some sort of ads
rotation (while retaining the weighting by relevancy to show only
relevant ads). Does anyone have an idea on how to implement something
like this?

Thanks :)

Posted by "Insurance Squared Inc." <gc...@insurancesquared.com>.
I've been using a paid (but low cost) script by smarterscripts.com to
display ads.  It's not the ideal solution but works for lower volume of
searches (it's a php/mysql solution).   There's an opensource script
called phpadsnew that may also work but IIRC it didn't allow for third
party advertisers to sign up and manage their own ads.  If you're
managing your own ads and not dealing with third party advertisers,
phpadsnew is probably the most robust foss solution I've seen.

Neither will weight ads based on relevancy that I'm aware of.  Both
should be customizable though to allow for some sort of weighting or
ranking based on other factors.

Certainly I'd also welcome any feedback on good ad software as well.
Unfortunately IMO the problem of ranking ads is a similiar type of
problem that nutch addresses for ranking search results and requires a
solution as in depth as nutch is - and to date I've not seen anything
with capabilities in the ad serving arena that's both foss and as robuts
is nutch is.