Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Francis Liu <to...@apache.org> on 2012/07/30 20:25:56 UTC

Is HiveMetastoreClient threadsafe?

Hi,

We are trying to implement caching of HiveMetastoreClient in HCatalog. And
we were wondering if HiveMetastoreClient is threadsafe? Looking at the code
it's a relatively thin wrapper around the thrift client.  So it looks like
it all depends on wether a thrift client is meant to be threadsafe or not?
Which I don't know the answer to either. If a Hive or Thrift guru could shed
some light on this that'd be great.

-Francis

Re: Is HiveMetastoreClient threadsafe?

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
>From my understand thrift clients are never thread safe as they
manipulate the underlying protocol. This is true with Cassandra's
thrift client for sure.