Posted to dev@systemds.apache.org by Janardhan <ja...@gmail.com> on 2020/08/12 12:22:52 UTC

Re: [QUESTION] About MLContext. Thanks.

Hi Sebastian,

What is the equivalent of the following snippet to SystemDS Python api?

>>> from systemml import MLContext>>> ml = MLContext(spark)
Welcome to Apache SystemML!Version 1.0.0-SNAPSHOT

I looked at the `l2svm` but do we have a generic object to which we could
pass spark.

Thank you,
Janardhan

Posted by Janardhan <ja...@gmail.com>.
Ability to call MLContext via python acts as a starting point for users to
adapt systemds into their pipelines for ML workloads (atleast, if not a
major portion of the pipeline!).

Case for MLContext python wrapper:

{{code}}

#1. Data processing with Spark
import pyspark.sql.functions as F
dataPath = "amazon0601.txt"

X_train = (sc.textFile(dataPath)
    .filter(lambda l: not l.startswith("#"))
    ...)

#2. ML training with systemds
script = dml(pnmf).input(X=X_train, max_iter=100, rank=10).output("W", "H",
"losses")
losses = ml.execute(script).get("losses")

#3. Work with results with spark operations
xy = losses.toDF().sort("__INDEX").rdd.map(lambda r: (r[0], r[1])).collect()
{{code}}

Discussion PR: https://github.com/apache/systemds/pull/1024

Posted by Matthias Boehm <mb...@gmail.com>.