Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by xuer811 <xu...@126.com> on 2009/04/29 06:53:49 UTC

svn使用中遇到的问题

This message is actually asking for help about SVN1.6.

To the original poster: please post in English.

Basically, if I read correctly:

  I use SVN and came across a problem that I don't know the reason.

   Server : SVN1.6 + Apache 2.2.11
   Client : TortoiseSVN1.6.1 Build 16129 - 32bi
   User A (and?) User B both have the same working copy.
   [Mod. Note: Not exactly the right translation since it's
        simplified chinese and I don't read simplified chinese that
        well.]

  User A creates a directory log with revision 201
  User B creates under the directory a text file(Text.txt) and commits
         it: making revision 202
  User A updates the directory log and it's certified to be revision
         202 but text.txt isn't updated onto A's machine.  There are
         no errror messages.

The only thing User A can do is remove the directory and then update.
Only then will the directory and text.txt successfully appears.

I have not found any similar answers, so please help me.

Thanks

Hui Wing Hung

客服您好!
    我在使用SVN的过程出现了一个问题,不知道是什么原因,请赐教
    为了能描述清楚这个问题我有必要把搭建环境先说一下:
    服务器:SVN1.6.1+Apache2.2.11
    客户端:TortoiseSVN1.6.1. Build 16129 - 32 Bit
    用户A与用户B 各目录权限相同 客户端相同
    问题描述:当前SVN版本为200
              用户A 在某目录下创建目录<dir>并提交,版本更新至201;
              用户B 将dir目录更新下来,同时添加了新文件text.txt并提交,版本更新至202;
              用户A 再次更新dir目录,正确显示当前最新版本202,但不能将text.txt文件更新下来,并没有任何错误提示;
              此时用户A 只能将<dir>目录删除,再次更新,目录<dir>和文件text.txt可同时更新成功。
     我没有找到相关问题的解答,所以请您们帮忙,期盼回复,谢谢!

                                                             许永红
                                                           2009-04-28

Re: svn????????

Posted by Olivier Sannier <ob...@free.fr>.
Johan Corveleyn wrote:
> Well that would be fine, except for security: you'd need to have a generic "build user" (not corresponding to a real person), with fixed password, that has write access to the repository (needs to commit version info, make branches, tags, ...). In our case this means this "user" has to exist in our LDAP in the developers group (only that LDAP group has write access currently).
>
> Our sysadmins don't like such generic user accounts (for one thing: their password tends to be fixed over time to help all the automation, contrary to normal accounts, which are forced to change their password every x months).

Can't you configure the svn server (or apache) to use a second
authentication method so that you can have your "build" user outside the
LDAP directory?
And I must agree with Bob on this issue, if it's not possible, it's not
much to change a password every few months. You could even automate this
in your script. If the LDAP server is kicking you out, then change the
password. There must be command line tools that allow you to do that.

Re: svn????????

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 6:42 PM, Johan Corveleyn
<jo...@uz.kuleuven.ac.be> wrote:
> I don't really understand where you got the idea that we use
> the file:// protocol :).

The fact that your Sysadmins don't like creating special non-user
accounts. I've been through this before where I am trying to implement
a client/server software, and our IT department tell us they can't
setup a non-user account in order to run the software.

But earlier you said:

> we use a fixed build machine (*nix machine) with a
> "shared" WC (we take rotations to perform the build)

What builds are you doing on the *nix machine that you're not doing
with TeamCity?

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

RE: svn????????

Posted by Johan Corveleyn <jo...@uz.kuleuven.ac.be>.
I don't really understand where you got the idea that we use the file:// protocol :). No, we have a very sane setup (I think): repository is owned by a special user account, which is also used to run the Apache server that goes with it. We access it through https, authenticating with LDAP. We were only talking about sharing a *working copy* (on a build machine) for "release build" purposes.

RE: svn????????

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@infor.com>.
> > I would rather have to change the password that my build server uses
> > every x months than have to manually do a build every x days or hours.
>
> We only do this for "release builds" (weekly), not for our CI builds
> (hourly). For the CI builds there is no problem because they don't need
> write access to SVN (just checkout latest version and build it).

I see. Well, our scripts generate the release build too. But, it doesn't branch or tag. Once the release is approved by QA then a developer does the branch/tag from his own private WC. (Actually you can branch tag without a WC.) Not sure why they need to log into some shared WC to do this stuff? Isn't it just two copy commands?

Svn cp $REPOS/trunk $REPOS/tag/MyVersions
Svn cp $REPOS/trunk $REPOS/branch/MyVersions

BOb

RE: Build automation tool for Windows?

Posted by Nicholas Curry <Ni...@cofunds.co.uk>.
> Is anyone using MSBuild with hundreds of projects within a single
> solution?  Or preferably can it "unscramble" dependencies across
> hundreds of projects without a solution file, using a combination of
> project and file assembly references, and perform a clean build in the
> true dependency order?

We don't use MSBuild with hundreds of projects, but Visual Studio uses
MSBuild to build the solution, so if your solution builds in Visual
Studio, it should also build using MSBuild on the command line.

Cheers,
Nick

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@infor.com>.
> Is anyone using MSBuild with hundreds of projects within a single
> solution?  Or preferably can it "unscramble" dependencies across
> hundreds of projects without a solution file, using a combination of
> project and file assembly references, and perform a clean build in the
> true dependency order?

I don't think so. But, easy enough to give it a try. Run msbuild on a project file that depends on another projects dll. But, I am pretty sure it is the solution file that contains all the dependencies. And yes, we have a single solution per project(not hundreds of projects but a dozen or so). We do have external dependencies but they are dealt with as I mentioned previously. If CCnet sees that there is a new version of our common framework it rebuilds the application project for example.

Posted by "Todd C. Gleason" <tg...@impac.com>.

Posted by "Parrish, Ken" <KP...@gomez.com>.
David,

I also use a combination of CruiseControl.NET, Nant, MSBuild and Subversion.

Subversion is our repository.  If it isn't in the repository, then it doesn't exist.

I leave it to MSBuild to unscramble dependencies inside a .NET solution file or other Microsoft project/solution/make files.  No need to reinvent the wheel for this stuff--very messy stuff.  However, I do not create any build, configuration management or deployment extensions in MSBuild--I find it very difficult and picky to use.  Just as a command line tool for execution of Microsoft project and solution files.

I use CruiseControl.NET for automated builds and deployment.  However, I do the minimum amount of work necessary in CruiseControl's configuration file.  Other than basic automated control and launching of Nant scripts.  The real work is farmed out to Nant.

I use Nant as the 'blood and guts' of our configuration management system.  It can handle all manner of dependencies and interactions.  It is has an extensive and powerful set of task/commands that alleviate having to write a lot of custom code.  Nant is not for everyone.  It is an XML based scripting language and at times (not too often) has its limitations for doing extremely complicated analysis and operations, but overall, it is well suited for build and configuration management tasks.  It is a rare situation that it can't be adapted to our CM needs.

There are a few cases where I have written custom configuration management utilities.  In this case, I write them as command line tools and execute the from Nant scripts.  For example, I've written a custom directory comparison tool that generates an easy to parse XML output that is consumed by Nant for generation of deployment change lists and logs.

Hope this is helpful.

Ken Parrish
Gomez, Inc.

Posted by Didier Trosset <di...@agilent.com>.
David Aldrich wrote:
> Hi
>
> I noticed an active thread about using shared working copies for build automation and got thinking about build automation for our environment. We build C/C++ code on Windows using gmake and store the code in Subversion.
>
> Would anyone like to suggest a build automation tool for such an environment?

I'm sure you can find some information on this feature matrix for automatic
build tools:

http://confluence.public.thoughtworks.org/display/CC/CI+Feature+Matrix

HTH
Didier

> Best regards
>
> David

Didier Trosset-Moreau
SND / Data Converters
Agilent Technologies
Geneva, Switzerland

Re: Build automation tool for Windows?

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Hudson (it runs in java but it builds anything)

-Stephen

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
Bob Archer wrote:
>> I noticed an active thread about using shared working copies for build
>> automation and got thinking about build automation for our environment. We
>> build C/C++ code on Windows using gmake and store the code in Subversion.
>>
>> Would anyone like to suggest a build automation tool for such an
>> environment?
>
> I use Cruisecontrol.Net and Nant. Both will work with any development tool. But, if you want to extend them you need to write .Net code. However, I haven't needed to extend them yet.
>
> There is also TeamCity which is free for smaller teams.

And hudson, which is pretty much cross platform.
https://hudson.dev.java.net/

It's not just for java anymore:
http://redsolo.blogspot.com/2008/04/guide-to-building-net-projects-using.html

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com

RE: Build automation tool for Windows?

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@infor.com>.

Posted by "Todd C. Gleason" <tg...@impac.com>.

Posted by Dextrous <de...@gmail.com>.
Try out luntbuild http://luntbuild.javaforge.com/

Commercial version is also available as quickbuild

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 1:15 PM, Helge Kruse <He...@gmx.net>wrote:

> Bob Archer wrote:
> > There is also TeamCity which is free for smaller teams.
>
> We used TeamCity free edition for our small team. But since we have several
> small projects the limit of 20 projects has been reached after a short
> time.
> Now we are using Hudson and are satisfied.
>
> Helge

Cheers,
Vishwajeet
http://www.singhvishwajeet.com

Re: Build automation tool for Windows?

Posted by Helge Kruse <He...@gmx.net>.

Posted by David Aldrich <da...@eu.nec.com>.
Hi Bob

> No worries. You should really have CCed this stuff to the list though.

Sorry, I'm cc'ing the latest discussion now (see below) in case anyone is interested. Thanks for answering my questions.

David

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@infor.com>.

RE: svn????????

Posted by Johan Corveleyn <jo...@uz.kuleuven.ac.be>.
> I would rather have to change the password that my build server uses
> every x months than have to manually do a build every x days or hours.

We only do this for "release builds" (weekly), not for our CI builds (hourly). For the CI builds there is no problem because they don't need write access to SVN (just checkout latest version and build it).

For the weekly release build, "manually" will boil down to:
$ ssh buildmachine
Password: ********
buildmachine $ doIt
[... lots of output of the build process, if you like ...]
buildmachine $ logout

But you're right, it's still some "manual developer time" that's being used (only to provide credentials to authenticate to SVN).

On the other hand, changing the password on the build server every 3 months can be annoying too. And where are you storing that "automation" password (in a secure way)? Or would you just use SVN's client credential caching for this (of the build user's system account)? To change it, you'd have to login with that build user and perform some svn action interactively, so you it can prompt you for the new password...

Nonetheless, thanks for the feedback. I guess I'm just being a little anal-retentive here ...

Johan

RE: svn????????

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@infor.com>.
> Our sysadmins don't like such generic user accounts (for one thing: their
> password tends to be fixed over time to help all the automation, contrary
> to normal accounts, which are forced to change their password every x
> months).

I don't like to eat right and exercise either. I would rather live on chocolate, peanut butter, pizza and mountain dew. Sometimes we must do things we don't "like" because it is the best way to do it.

I would rather have to change the password that my build server uses every x months than have to manually do a build every x days or hours.

> That's why we thought: why not let every developer build under his own
> account (but share the WC to speed up things), and avoid this whole issue.

So, to avoid one issue (talking to a sysadmin?) you have created another. To me if a dev is doing the same steps over and over rather than automating it they are wasting their time and not being as productive as possible.

But, it is of course your team and your project and you have to do it the way you see fit. It was just a suggestion.

BOb

Re: svn????????

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.

<jo...@uz.kuleuven.ac.be> wrote:
> Well that would be fine, except for security: you'd need to have a generic "build user" (not corresponding to a real person), with fixed password, that has write access to the repository (needs to commit version info, make branches, tags, ...). In our case this means this "user" has to exist in our LDAP in the developers group (only that LDAP group has write access currently).
>
> Our sysadmins don't like such generic user accounts (for one thing: their password tends to be fixed over time to help all the automation, contrary to normal accounts, which are forced to change their password every x months).
>
> That's why we thought: why not let every developer build under his own account (but share the WC to speed up things), and avoid this whole issue.
>
> Johan

David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

RE: svn????????

Re: svn????????

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.

RE: svn????????

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@infor.com>.

RE: svn????????

Posted by Johan Corveleyn <jo...@uz.kuleuven.ac.be>.
Hmmm, we were planning to do this in the following scenario:
- during normal development, everyone has his own local WC
- for building, we use a fixed build machine (*nix machine) with a "shared" WC (we take rotations to perform the build)

This "build WC" isn't changed a lot, just as part of our build process (update, create new branch, adjust some externals, change versioninfo file and commit, ...). Everyone does this under his own user account (so we have some trace of who made the build etc), and it's never done concurrently (there is lockfile to make sure of this). We prefer sharing the WC to save time and diskspace on our build machine. To avoid file permission issues, we make sure the entire WC is "group-owned" by the developers' group, and make sure everything is group-writable (may require some umasking).

I guess this sort of WC-sharing should be fine, shouldn't it?

I agree though that for "normal use" (i.e. development, making lots of changes concurrently, ...) WC sharing is not a good idea.

Johan

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.

Re: svn????????

Posted by Andrey Repin <an...@freemail.ru>.
Greetings, xuer811!

Re: svn使用中遇到的问题

Posted by michael he <mi...@gmail.com>.
http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=1881609

There are some threads about this. It is a bug. Current workaround is do not
use TSVN to add files/folders, use the command line "svn add".

Thanks,
Michael