Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Mann, Bradley" <bm...@harris.com> on 2006/06/12 20:08:47 UTC

AJP vs. JNI

Hello,

I am trying to discover the differences between these two protocols (AJP
and JNI) when using the Jakarta Connector with Apache HTTPD and Tomcat.
Any information on the difference between these two and what scenarios
work best with each is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad Mann
Software Engineer - Information Access Services
HARRIS Corporation / GCSD
(321) 984-6292

Re: AJP vs. JNI

Posted by Darryl Miles <da...@netbauds.net>.
Mann, Bradley wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to discover the differences between these two protocols (AJP
> and JNI) when using the Jakarta Connector with Apache HTTPD and Tomcat.
> Any information on the difference between these two and what scenarios
> work best with each is greatly appreciated.

Chalk and Cheese.

JNI = Java Native Interface, a programming API to allows native code
(assembler code conforming to C/C++ ABIs of the host) to be loaded into
the JVM for execution.
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/jni/index.html

AJP = Apache JServ Protocol, a network protocol for proxying HTTP
request/response cycles.  ApacheJServ evolved into the jakarta
connectors.  http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy_ajp.html

HTH

Darryl