Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Chris Long <cl...@globalinfotek.com> on 2006/03/07 16:28:08 UTC

Help a newbie maven user

Hi,

I've used other build tools (mostly make and ant, with a smattering of
autoconf and imake), but I'd like to move to Maven. However, I'm having
a lot of trouble getting started.

I'm starting a new project that depends on another local project (of
which I'm also a developer), and I want my new project to depend on the
old one's jar file (let's call it old-1.0.jar). I figured out how to put
old-1.0.jar in a local repository so Maven could find it.

The problem is that I'm using Eclipse with the Maven plugin, and I'd
like Eclipse to know about the source, or at least the javadocs, for the
old project. But I can't figure out how to attach source or javadocs to
old-1.0.jar. I know how to do it with the normal Eclipse UI, but when I
try that it immediately disappears (I guess the Maven plugin overwrites it).

So I thought there must be a way to put the source or at least javadocs
in the local Maven repository and associate them with old-1.0.jar. But I
can't figure out how. All the docs about repositories that I can find
talk about the code jar file or say (in essence) "use Maven for your
project and it will manage the repository automagically for you." This
would be great, except that the old project is built with a complicated
ant script, not with Maven, and I don't want to convert the old project
to Maven just so my new project can use Maven.

I apologize if this is not the right forum for this type of question.
I've searched the FAQs, the website, the mailing list, the web at large,
all to no avail.

Thanks!

- Chris

<editorial frustration-level="high">
What I'd *really* like is to be able to tell Maven, "This new project
depends on the jar file old.jar, which is in this location (which
happens to be in the new project). And the old project's source files
are over there and its javadocs are there." I've read the reasons why
the Maven folks think storing jars in CVS is a bad idea, and I think
they have a lot of good points. But I don't want to set up a repository
and go through all this hassle just to try out Maven with my new
project. If and when I'm convinced that Maven is really all that, then
I'll be willing to jump through the hoops to do everything the Maven
Way. As of now, although it seems like Maven will have advantages in the
future, it's not at all clear to me that they outweigh the annoyances.
</editorial>

A. Chris Long           clong@globalinfotek.com
Principal Scientist	703-652-1600 x207
Global InfoTek, Inc.    www.globalinfotek.com

Re: Help a newbie maven user

Posted by Chris Long <cl...@globalinfotek.com>.
Thanks very much for the help. I copied old-1.0-sources.jar and
old-1.0-javadoc.jar and refreshed the Eclipse filesystem view and the
Maven plugin found the source. It didn't find the javadoc, though. I
don't know if that's a limitation in the plugin or if that's not the
right name.

For now, at least, this is adequate since all the packages I really want
linked docs for I also have sources for.

- Chris

Wayne Fay wrote:

>PS- When I grow up, I want to be a Principal Scientist! ;-)

;-)

Re: Help a newbie maven user

Posted by Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com>.
Easier, just put run as an external tool and check the option "refresh
workspace afterward".

On 3/7/06, ian.d.stewart@jpmchase.com <ia...@jpmchase.com> wrote:
> I knew there must be an easier way!
>
> Thanks Stephen
>
> It's better to be hated for who you are
> than loved for who you are not
>
> Ian D. Stewart
> Appl Dev Analyst-Advisory, DCS Automation
> JPMorganChase Global Technology Infrastructure
> Phone: (614) 244-2564
> Pager: (888) 260-0078
>

>                       "Stephen Duncan"
>                       <stephen.duncan@g        To:       "Maven Users List" <us...@maven.apache.org>
>                       mail.com>                cc:
>                                                Subject:  Re: Help a newbie maven user
>                       03/07/2006 05:44
>                       PM
>                       Please respond to
>                       "Maven Users
>                       List"
>

> On 3/7/06, ian.d.stewart@jpmchase.com <ia...@jpmchase.com> wrote:
> > You had better watch out, Wayne.  You keep posting useful information
> like
> > this, the Maven Developers will draft you as a technical writer :)
> >
> > Based on my (admittedly limited) experience with Eclipse and the Sources
> > Bundles, this is a pretty accurate description of how things work, with
> two
> > caveats:
> >
> > 1) After install the source bundle into your local repository, you need
> > restart Eclipse for it to pick up the addition.  I assume the same
> applies
> > to the JavaDoc bundle
>
> I don't think this is true.  After running eclipse:eclipse, you need
> to refresh your project (right-click -> refresh on the project), and
> settings are generally picked up.  I've never noticed a need to
> restart Eclipse.
>
> -Stephen

Alexandre Poitras
Québec, Canada

Re: Help a newbie maven user

Posted by ia...@jpmchase.com.
I knew there must be an easier way!

Thanks Stephen

It's better to be hated for who you are
than loved for who you are not

Ian D. Stewart
Phone: (614) 244-2564
Pager: (888) 260-0078

                      "Stephen Duncan"
                      <stephen.duncan@g        To:       "Maven Users List" <us...@maven.apache.org>
                      mail.com>                cc:
                                               Subject:  Re: Help a newbie maven user
                      03/07/2006 05:44
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "Maven Users
                      List"

Re: Help a newbie maven user

Posted by Stephen Duncan <st...@gmail.com>.
On 3/7/06, ian.d.stewart@jpmchase.com <ia...@jpmchase.com> wrote:
> You had better watch out, Wayne.  You keep posting useful information like
> this, the Maven Developers will draft you as a technical writer :)
>
> Based on my (admittedly limited) experience with Eclipse and the Sources
> Bundles, this is a pretty accurate description of how things work, with two
> caveats:
>
> 1) After install the source bundle into your local repository, you need to
> restart Eclipse for it to pick up the addition.  I assume the same applies
> to the JavaDoc bundle

I don't think this is true.  After running eclipse:eclipse, you need
to refresh your project (right-click -> refresh on the project), and
settings are generally picked up.  I've never noticed a need to
restart Eclipse.

-Stephen

Re: Help a newbie maven user

Posted by ia...@jpmchase.com.
You had better watch out, Wayne.  You keep posting useful information like
this, the Maven Developers will draft you as a technical writer :)

Based on my (admittedly limited) experience with Eclipse and the Sources
Bundles, this is a pretty accurate description of how things work, with two
caveats:

1) After install the source bundle into your local repository, you need to
restart Eclipse for it to pick up the addition.  I assume the same applies
to the JavaDoc bundle
2) You HAVE TO install the source bundle in order to get the attached
sources.  You cannot browse to a JAR or external folder the way you would
with a normal Java project in Eclipse

Ian

It's better to be hated for who you are
than loved for who you are not

Ian D. Stewart
Phone: (614) 244-2564
Pager: (888) 260-0078

                      "Wayne Fay"
                      <waynefay@gmail.c        To:       "Maven Users List" <us...@maven.apache.org>
                      om>                      cc:
                      03/07/2006 04:54
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "Maven Users
                      List"

I don't use Eclipse + Maven so I'm not positive this will work, but
there is a standard way to include sources and javadocs in Maven
bundles. See this page:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-ibiblio-upload.html

Basically you need to copy the binary jar into your local repository
using the standard "mvn install:install-file etc" command. Then copy
the javadoc jar and sources jar into the proper folder under ~/.m2/.
If your project is named old-1.0.jar then they should be called
old-1.0-sources.jar and old-1.0-javadoc.jar.

(You could probably use the install-file to copy those files into your
repo too, I just am not positive about the syntax, and haven't done
it, so I don't want to lead you astray.)

At that point, perhaps the Eclipse Maven plugin will auto-discover the
sources, and start using it? Not sure, but based on what you're
saying, and some other things I've read lately, I think this might
work.

Give it a try and report back either way.

Wayne

Re: Help a newbie maven user

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.