Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by "Bhatia Praveen, HCLT-Japan" <pr...@hcltech.co.jp> on 2004/11/18 06:10:39 UTC

Unicode and pdf doc

Hi,
   When I use unicode for say russian, or other lang in index.xml It appears
fine in the web pages index.html. However, when i click on the pdf file
equivalent (top right) the unicode characters appear as ########### in the
pdf file and unicode are not rendered correctly. What should be done to get
them correctly in the pdf file  also?

regards
Praveen

Re: Unicode and pdf doc

Posted by Lechique <le...@poczta.onet.pl>.
Bhatia Praveen, HCLT-Japan wrote:

> Hi,
>    When I use unicode for say russian, or other lang in index.xml It appears
> fine in the web pages index.html. However, when i click on the pdf file
> equivalent (top right) the unicode characters appear as ########### in the
> pdf file and unicode are not rendered correctly. What should be done to get
> them correctly in the pdf file  also?

There is work-around in this bug-report:
http://issues.cocoondev.org/browse/FOR-132

Best regards.
Lechique

--
Mistakes are the portals of discovery.
                          James Joyce

Re: Unicode and pdf doc

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
On Nov 17, 2004, at 9:10 PM, Bhatia Praveen, HCLT-Japan wrote:
> Hi,
>    When I use unicode for say russian, or other lang in index.xml It
> appears
> fine in the web pages index.html. However, when i click on the pdf file
> equivalent (top right) the unicode characters appear as ########### in
> the
> pdf file and unicode are not rendered correctly. What should be done
> to get
> them correctly in the pdf file  also?
>
> regards
> Praveen

I don't know the answer to this question but I have some suspicions...

Forrest uses Apache FOP to generate it's PDF output. I suspect there
are problems with the Forrest's FONT output when it comes to unicode.

Everything you'd want to know about FOP Font output is either on the
FOP Fonts page[1], or in the mailing list archives[2].

It'd take some extra work, but someone may need to go into the
document2fo.xsl stylesheets and make some modifications to the
transformation. Among other things, though, font metrics files would
need to be generated, and Forrest would somehow need to pass this
information along to FOP.

[1] FOP Fonts page
http://xml.apache.org/fop/fonts.html
[2]FOP Mailing Lists page