Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Cassy Andra <ca...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/04 00:04:34 UTC

Does Cassandra run better on Amazon EC2 or Rackspace cloud servers?

My company is looking to develop a software prototype based off Cassandra in
the cloud. We except to run 5 - 10 NoSQL servers for the prototype. I've
read online (Jonathan Ellis was pretty vocal about this) that EC2 has some
I/O issues. Is the general consensus to run Cassandra on EC2 or Rackspace?
What are the pros + cons?

Re: Does Cassandra run better on Amazon EC2 or Rackspace cloud servers?

Posted by Adrian Cockcroft <ac...@netflix.com>.
EBS volumes don't work well, but the instance local disks are fine on EC2. Also the smaller instance types are a lot slower on I/O than the bigger ones. We are using local disk on m2.2xl or 4xl (to get lots of RAM). Don't use the m1.small instances.

Adrian

From: Dave Viner <da...@gmail.com>>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 15:54:57 -0800
To: "user@cassandra.apache.org<ma...@cassandra.apache.org>" <us...@cassandra.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Does Cassandra run better on Amazon EC2 or Rackspace cloud servers?

Since it's all pay-for-use, you could build your system on both, then do whatever stress testing you want.

The cassandra part of your app should be unchanged between different cloud providers.

Personally, I'm using EC2 and don't have any complaints.

Dave Viner

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 3:49 PM, Ryan King <ry...@twitter.com>> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 3:04 PM, Cassy Andra <ca...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> My company is looking to develop a software prototype based off Cassandra in
> the cloud. We except to run 5 - 10 NoSQL servers for the prototype. I've
> read online (Jonathan Ellis was pretty vocal about this) that EC2 has some
> I/O issues. Is the general consensus to run Cassandra on EC2 or Rackspace?
> What are the pros + cons?

I don't know about RAX cloud, but Joe Stump of SimpleGeo did some
benchmarks of ec2 io performance:

http://stu.mp/2009/12/disk-io-and-throughput-benchmarks-on-amazons-ec2.html

-ryan

Re: Does Cassandra run better on Amazon EC2 or Rackspace cloud servers?

Posted by Dave Viner <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan King <ry...@twitter.com>.