Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net> on 2002/02/12 14:36:11 UTC

Servlet Filters Proposal

I have started putting together a proposal for Jakarta-Filters.
Once this effort has been bootstrapped in jakarta-commons-sandbox
this can be proposed to the PMC as a top level project if enough
interest exists.

If you are interested in contributing to Servlet Filters please read
the proposal below and send me your comments.  Let me know if I missed
any filters or committers.

As I have time I will work on setting up jakarta-commons-sandbox/filters
using the build and organization pattern from the Jakarta-Taglibs Project.

Once we have a build framework setup we can start adding filters.

Regards,

Glenn

Re: Servlet Filters Proposal

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.
cmanolache@yahoo.com wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Glenn Nielsen wrote:
>
> > I have started putting together a proposal for Jakarta-Filters.
> > Once this effort has been bootstrapped in jakarta-commons-sandbox
> > this can be proposed to the PMC as a top level project if enough
> > interest exists.
> >
> > If you are interested in contributing to Servlet Filters please read
> > the proposal below and send me your comments.  Let me know if I missed
> > any filters or committers.
>
> I'm not sure a top level project is such a good idea. I know we have a
> jakarta-taglibs already, but maybe it's a better idea to first see if
> there is enough interest and enough real activity in jakarta-commons.
> >From sandbox to top level project is a bit too much  :-)
>
> I would be +0 for a top level project that would deal with 'extensions'
> or 'modules' - i.e. servlet filters, ant tasks, axis handlers, tomcat
> valves and interceptors, etc. Especially if the organization would
> be similar with commons. But even for that - jakarta-commons is
> a much better place, and if it gets so much contribution it
> overwhelms commons, it's easy to move.

The latest proposal defers the decision on whether Servlet Filters
gets promoted from the jakarta-commons-sandbox to jakarta-commons
or a top level project until after it has been made public in the
sandbox and there has been a few months to build a community.
At this time it is too early to determine the best place for the
Servlet Filters to reside on the Jakarta site.

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.
On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Glenn Nielsen wrote:

> I have started putting together a proposal for Jakarta-Filters.
> Once this effort has been bootstrapped in jakarta-commons-sandbox
> this can be proposed to the PMC as a top level project if enough
> interest exists.
>
> If you are interested in contributing to Servlet Filters please read
> the proposal below and send me your comments.  Let me know if I missed
> any filters or committers.

I'm not sure a top level project is such a good idea. I know we have a
jakarta-taglibs already, but maybe it's a better idea to first see if
there is enough interest and enough real activity in jakarta-commons.
>From sandbox to top level project is a bit too much  :-)

I would be +0 for a top level project that would deal with 'extensions'
or 'modules' - i.e. servlet filters, ant tasks, axis handlers, tomcat
valves and interceptors, etc. Especially if the organization would
be similar with commons. But even for that - jakarta-commons is
a much better place, and if it gets so much contribution it
overwhelms commons, it's easy to move.

Costin