Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by James Sleeman <ja...@gogo.co.nz> on 2005/11/05 11:24:20 UTC

Making a patchfile

Hi all,

 the situation:
  I have a checked out copy of a repository of an open source project
which is publically readable
  I don't have commit access, nor do I want it, nor would I expect to
get it
  I have made improvements in my working copy
  I want to send a patch to the project in question for them to examine
and if they want apply my changes

How can I generate said patch?

 svn diff >patch.txt
Won't cut it because my changes include removing and adding various
binary files (images).

How is this normally done?

--
James Sleeman <ja...@gogo.co.nz>

Re: Making a patchfile

Posted by Duncan Murdoch <mu...@stats.uwo.ca>.
James Sleeman wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-11-05 at 16:43 +0100, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>>On Nov 5, 2005, at 12:24, James Sleeman wrote:
>>> svn diff >patch.txt
>>> Won't cut it because my changes include removing and adding various
>>> binary files (images).
>>As far as I know, you send the patch, as generated above, plus the
>>new binary files, plus instructions to manually remove the other images.
>>

> Ewww, that sounds like a lot of manual work that somebody must have
> automated already.  There are a lot of binary files involved :-(

If you "svn add" the new files and "svn del" the ones to delete, then
svn status on the root will list all those files for you.  You can grep
the list to find what to include and send a copy of the list to let the
owner of the repository know what to delete (and to give an overview of
what you've changed).

As far as I know you won't need write access to the repository to do
this; you just won't be able to commit the changes.

Duncan Murdoch

Re: Making a patchfile

Posted by James Sleeman <ja...@gogo.co.nz>.

Re: Making a patchfile