Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> on 2019/04/29 15:34:23 UTC

Asciidoc for site documents

The master branch was converted to use AsciiDoctor. To be honest, I don’t remember why. But after trying to create a new page with it I discovered that AsciiDoctor simply doesn’t work properly with the Maven Site Plugin. See https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoctor-maven-plugin/issues/166 <https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoctor-maven-plugin/issues/166>. As such I believe the site documents in Master need to be converted back to Markdown.

Ralph

Re: Asciidoc for site documents

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 at 13:53, Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> The proposal wasn’t to go back to xdoc but to switch everything to Markdown. To be honest I’m still not sure why asciidoc is better than Markdown. What syntactical features?

I don't remember if I brought this up back when I was converting the
docs, but asciidoc had far more formatting-related features that
seemed optimized for technical documentation compared to markdown
which seems to be optimized for README files and reddit comments.
However, I most likely tried converting everything to markdown first
before choosing asciidoc. I'll need to do some digging to find that
info again.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Asciidoc for site documents

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 2:53 PM Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>
wrote:

> The proposal wasn’t to go back to xdoc but to switch everything to
> Markdown. To be honest I’m still not sure why asciidoc is better than
> Markdown. What syntactical features?

I won't oppose any shuffling around but I think it would be nice in a FOSS
way to give the opportunity to the asciidoc community to fix or update
their plugin.

Gary

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Asciidoc for site documents

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Remember, if you use AsciiDoctor without the site plugin it could work just fine. But yes, the Log4J site has a lot of content. Also, we automatically convert the “manual” section of the site into a pdf book.

Ralph

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Although they seem to take it seriously I doubt that the solution will work seamlessly with the site plugin.  Since AsciiDoctor is not interacting with Doxia in the way Doxia modules are supposed to, and since their proposals so far show no indication they plan to address that, I have to assume their plan is to create templates or css that emulate the default maven site theme. However, that would require that they also provide emulation for other maven site themes to be complete. Since we have customized our theme with definitions in the site.css, those would also have to be modified to match whatever AsciiDoctor does.

In short, I am not optimistic of a favorable outcome.

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Asciidoc for site documents

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Asciidoc for site documents

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
For me, it would be easier to convert the pages to Markdown then write the css to make asciidoc work. I dislike working with css.

As for the description, I provided something but it isn’t particularly specific. I would have expected that if they were going to provide support for the Maven Site Plugin that they would have supplied a css file that makes the generated pages render properly. Without that the Maven Site Plugin isn’t really supported.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

--