Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Benoit TELLIER <bt...@apache.org> on 2022/11/10 05:01:55 UTC

Fwd: [ANNOUNCE] Changes to Jira Account Creation (issues.a.o/jira)

Hello all

See the email bellow.

This email:
  - Warns us that SIGNIFICANT paper work would be needed to create
accounts on our JIRA
  - Recommends us to activate GitHub issues for user facing interactions
(bug reports, feature requests, etc...) and let the committer transpose
this into JIRA.

Being likely the one the paper work would fall on, I am strongly in
favor of following the recommendation. JIRA would then be reserved for
regular contributors. Would you agree?

If so I would...
  - [ ] Activate github issues on our repos
  - [ ] Update our contributing sections, instructions and links on the
website.

Regards,

Benoit

Posted by Rene Cordier <rc...@apache.org>.
+1,

Rene.

Posted by Benoit TELLIER <bt...@linagora.com>.
Hello Otto,

On 10/11/2022 14:43, Otto, Karsten Andreas wrote:
> +1
>
> Looks to me we need GitHub issues, otherwise there would be no more way
> for the general public to file bug reports etc. Also we already use
> GitHub extensively in our PR workflow.
>
> However, I find it a bit unfortunate that there will be two different
> ticket systems to watch. What exactly will be the future role of JIRA in
> the workflow? Do we actually need to copy GitHub Issues over to work on
> them, and keep them in sync when someone edits the JIRA or Issue side?
> Ugh...
Alternative looks not fun either: completely switch tickets to GitHub
(like Apache Pulsar did) but:
  - Legacy data would have us either still us both JIRA and GitHub OR do
a fastidious migration (pulsar had no data to start with)
  - Github issues are a bit less structures (No target releases, No
child issues, etc..)

I would say linking "accepted" github issues to the corresponding JIRA
could be enough.

My 2 thoughts,

Benoit

Posted by "Otto, Karsten Andreas" <Ka...@akquinet.de.INVALID>.