Posted to dev@excalibur.apache.org by Jorg Heymans <jh...@apache.org> on 2007/04/11 21:49:43 UTC

Re: management of the PMC roster

Leo Simons wrote:

>> (is there anything the PMC can do to make it easier to vote a release
>> through - perhaps get a few cocoon developers on the PMC ?)
>
> Adding people to a PMC involves
>
>   (1) calling for a vote on private@excalibur
>   (2) people voting
>   (3) tallying the vote
>   (4) inviting the new people
>   (5) chair sending an email to board@
>       (6) board ACKs
>           (7) chair updates a file in SVN
>
> "get a few cocoon developers on the PMC" is slightly off, since we add
> people to the PMC based on merit. Of course, there are probably quite a
> few developers out there who have earned sufficient merit to be on the
> excalibur PMC, and some of them probably also are cocoon developers. The
> way I see it, the open invitation extended to them a year or two ago is
> still pretty much open, we just need to do the voting :-).

ofcourse my wording was very much off, but i'm glad it at least sparked
a flurry of reactions. I was under the (biased) impression that cocoon
was the only project still actively caring about new features and bug
fixes, I'm happy to see that's not the case.

> (on a tangent: excalibur is one example of several mature, stable, and
> pretty inactive projects at apache. As a foundation, apache has not yet
> really figured out a 'standard way' on how to deal with projects with
> dwindling activity, so in the meantime it's up to each project to figure
> out what to do.)

Would reducing the number of required PMC votes for a release be an
option in such case ? Or is this cemented in the ASF legalese somewhere?

Jorg

Re: management of the PMC roster

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
Jorg Heymans <jh...@apache.org> writes:

> Would reducing the number of required PMC votes for a release be an
> option in such case ? Or is this cemented in the ASF legalese
> somewhere?

 Pretty cemented.

--
  jaaron