Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Harald Wellmann <hw...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/16 10:32:11 UTC

Manifest position

Karaf 3.0.1 just gave me the following exception when I tried to install
the ECJ bundle:

  Manifest not present in the first entry of the zip
mvn:org.eclipse.jdt.core.compiler/ecj/4.4

I believe it's folklore that the manifest has to be the first entry in a
JAR, but in fact, the spec [1] doesn't say so.

So why doesn't Karaf simply continue scanning the JAR entries until the
manifest is found?

[1] http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/guides/jar/jar.html

Best regards,

Harald

Re: Manifest position

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Harald,

I think the problem is not in Karaf itself, but more on Pax URL.

AFAIR, I already created a Jira at Pax URL for that.

Let me double check.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Manifest position

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Yes, 2.1.0, sorry.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Manifest position

Posted by Harald Wellmann <hw...@gmail.com>.
I just tried

  bundle:install mvn:org.eclipse.jdt.core.compiler/ecj/4.4

and that works without problems. So it seems the issue is related to
feature resolution.

Re: Manifest position

Posted by Harald Wellmann <hw...@gmail.com>.

Re: Manifest position

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Even if it's in feature file, it's use Pax URL Aether to resolve the
URL, so I think it's in Pax URL.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Manifest position

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
ha,

no 2.3.8 is on Vote right now, while 3.0.2 and 4.0.0 are still snapshots :D

regards, Achim

--

Apache Member

Re: Manifest position

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Usually there is no issue with jar generated bundles. To me it always
happened if the bundle has been altered after wards.

Regards, Achim

sent from mobile device

Re: Manifest position

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Manifest position

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Manifest position

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
One reminder though :)

If the feature should be "compatible" with older versions of Karaf, you'll
need to add the wrap: anyway. It's what I did for Pax Web 4.0 too. That
version is supposed to play nicely with Karaf 4 (not released yet) but some
people are already using it with older Karaf versions.

regards, Achim

Re: Manifest position

Posted by Harald Wellmann <hw...@gmail.com>.

Re: Manifest position