Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Matt Juntunen <ma...@hotmail.com> on 2020/01/21 13:41:30 UTC

[geometry] Beta Release

Hello,

I think that commons-geometry is ready for a beta release, as discussed previously. If there are no objections, how do we make that happen?

Regards,
Matt J

Re: [geometry] Beta Release

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

Le mar. 21 janv. 2020 à 14:47, Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> I can try to help with that later this week potentially. My main question is: do we want to change the base package name across the component to `org.apache.commons.beta` for the beta release?

+1

Follow-up question: Do we agree that compatibility can be broken
under package "org.apache.commons.beta"?

Gilles

Re: [geometry] Beta Release

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: [geometry] Beta Release

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.

> On Jan 21, 2020, at 6:28 PM, Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello.

>> My impression was that BC can be broken moving from beta to first major release, regardless.
>
> The question was about breaking compatibility in successive *beta*
> releases, i.e.
> no package name change between versions, say, "beta-0.1" and "beta-0.2".
>
>> But, changing the package name certainly makes the change contentious.
>
> I don't understand.

I think if we make the package name across the project “org.apache.commons.geometry.beta.*” or something like that then we can do as many releases with breaking changes as we want. Then when we’re ready to go out the door with a 1.0, we simply drop the “beta” substring from the package name and roll.

That said, if you want to use the stuff in a beta capacity without changing the package name, and append a beta version, then we can probably convince folks to allow for breaking changes regardless.

Thoughts?

Ready to help with a release if necessary.

-Rob

Re: [geometry] Beta Release

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hello.

Re: [geometry] Beta Release

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.

> On Jan 21, 2020, at 12:24 PM, Matt Juntunen <ma...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Do we agree that compatibility can be broken
>> under package "org.apache.commons.beta"?

My impression was that BC can be broken moving from beta to first major release, regardless. But, changing the package name certainly makes the change contentious.

Re: [geometry] Beta Release

Posted by Matt Juntunen <ma...@hotmail.com>.

Re: [geometry] Beta Release

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.