Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tomeu Bennàssar <to...@ipc4.uib.es> on 2001/06/06 19:31:20 UTC

How to connect Apache and Tomcat?

Hi everybody:
    I'm new in Apache and I'm trying to integrate Tomcat as an
in-process servlet container of Apache but I can't. I have a SUN ULTRA 1
running solaris 5.7, Apache 1.3.4 and Tomcat 3.2.2. I'm following the
Minimalistic User's Guide of Apache, and I'm trying to compile the Jserv
module (mod_jserv) but it doesn't work. When I execute the build command
apxs:

apxs -c -o mod_jserv.so *.c

I get the next error:

apxs: Error: Sorry no shared object support for Apache
apxs: Error: available under your platform. Make sure
apxs: Error: the apache module mod_so is compiled into
apxs: Error: your server binary /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd

I know that this error is not a compilation one, but I don't know to
correct it.
Could anyone help me, please?

PD: The Apache that I´m running on my system is one that I have found
compiled on the web, because after weeks of works i was unable to
compile it. Could the fact that I´m using an Apache compiled by someone
else be part of the problem?

Re: How to connect Apache and Tomcat?

Posted by pedro salazar <pe...@ptinovacao.pt>.
I think you must build apache with support  for module_so (Dynamid Shared
Object). Please, read INSTALL and it explains how to enable mod_so. I just
don't tell you exactly what you should do because I don't know what is the
option for sure... probably it may be something like this:

./configure --enabled-shared --enable-module=so
make
make install

read the INSTALL and look about the options to use in configure shell
script.

--
<psalazar/>

how do I test the Apache-Tomcat mod_jk connection?

Posted by Gary Dale <ga...@mail1.moh.gov.on.ca>.
Sorry for this newbie type question but I'm not a Java programmer. I am
required however to give advice on this subject. I believe I have the
connection set up properly but from what I've been reading about running
jsp applications, it appears that you need to build them for a
particular location.

For example, I can run the examples OK by simply going to
http://servername:8080/examples/ if Apache isn't running, or to
http://servername/examples/ if it is. I also can get at various
applications that were set to run in subdirectories of webapps as
http://servername/appx/. And I can view html pages through dns entries I
have set up as http://appx.domain.dom/. The Java pages however give me a
long string of type 500 error messages.

The point is, it looks like I have the Apache-Tomcat connector working
and I may even have the virtual hosting (through ajp13 & mod_jk)  set up
properly. Is there something simple I can do to verify this? Is there a
.jsp page that will run anywhere, for example, or is there a simple
change I can make to the examples to get them to run in a virtual host?

Re: How to connect Apache and Tomcat?

Posted by Gary Dale <ga...@mail1.moh.gov.on.ca>.
Have you considered using mod_jk instead? It's supposedly more uptodate
and has some nice features if you're doing virtual hosting. Read the
mod_jk-howto file in the tomcat docs.