Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Shrinath agarwal <sh...@gmail.com> on 2018/08/27 06:13:57 UTC

Airflow Basic Use Cases

Is it good practice or situation to use Airflow to schedule simple Cron Job
to run every 12 0 clock (based on time zone ) .

--

Thanks and Regards,

Shri Nath Agarwal

Mobile 9482060723

Re: Airflow Basic Use Cases

Posted by Christian Barra <ba...@gmail.com>.

> On 27 Aug 2018, at 08:13, Shrinath agarwal <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Is it good practice or situation to use Airflow to schedule simple Cron Job
> to run every 12 0 clock (based on time zone ) .

Generally, to have a better overall visibility.

We use a mix of aiojobs (running inside the applications), cron jobs scheduled using nomad and can’t wait to migrate everything to airflow.

Re: Airflow Basic Use Cases

Posted by Taylor Edmiston <te...@gmail.com>.
One benefit of Airflow over cron for even simple use cases like that is the
ability to see run history success or failure in the dashboard.

Another, for example, is to handle the case where if a cron job gets behind
schedule, you might not want it to run twice when it catches.  Airflow
supports config to make cases like that easy to handle and explicit.

*Taylor Edmiston*
Blog <https://blog.tedmiston.com/> | CV
<https://stackoverflow.com/cv/taylor> | LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/tedmiston/> | AngelList